Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member

My new S&W 617 is spitting at me

OK, .22 revolver gurus, any advice would be appreciated. In all my years I've had numerous .22 semi-autos, but never a revolver, so I bought what sounded like one of the best. Took it to the range today, shot about 50 rounds through it, and got splattered a few times on the left side of my face. I've attached two pics of what it looks like around the forcing cone, which looks to me like there's way too much crud and even lead. I understand that because of the necessary cylinder gap some gas/junk will escape, but this seems excessive. My Redhawk .357 and Super Redhawk .44 never spit or looked like this, though I shot either hard cast or jacketed bullets.

My searches indicated everything from it's normal, to that should never happen, to the forcing cone may not be cut correctly, to cylinder misalignment, to inconsistent cylinder gap spacing, to cheap ammo, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What does the face of the cylinder look like?

There is something wrong with it. Send it back to S&W.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by tkurban53 View Post
    OK, .22 revolver gurus, any advice would be appreciated. In all my years I've had numerous .22 semi-autos, but never a revolver, so I bought what sounded like one of the best. Took it to the range today, shot about 50 rounds through it, and got splattered a few times on the left side of my face. I've attached two pics of what it looks like around the forcing cone, which looks to me like there's way too much crud and even lead. I understand that because of the necessary cylinder gap some gas/junk will escape, but this seems excessive. My Redhawk .357 and Super Redhawk .44 never spit or looked like this, though I shot either hard cast or jacketed bullets.

My searches indicated everything from it's normal, to that should never happen, to the forcing cone may not be cut correctly, to cylinder misalignment, to inconsistent cylinder gap spacing, to cheap ammo, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx.
    You are correct, @ 50rds that is not right. I will say my 617 does spit some, but not objectionable, in particular if it's dirty. It's a common issue with most revolvers, surprisingly in 22LR more so. Some more than others. I've found to minimize it - avoid hi-velocity ammo, CCI Std Velocity or even sub-sonic quiet is what I shoot mostly. Very little spitting if any and more accurate too.

Is this a new gun or used? If you have feeler gauges you can check the cylinder/barrel gap - 0.006" would be ideal. The pic looks like it's not correctly aligning the cylinder and the forcing cone. IE to much play in the cylinder. When the cylinder locks up as the hammer goes forward, there can be some very small amount play on a S&W revolver, but not much. If it's not locking up in alignment that will cause this problem. Here is a PDF on how to evaluate used revolvers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6F...wNmY4NzM2/view

MGO Member
    I had a 317 doing that. Send it back to Smith, they will fix it for free. (Or replace it as they did with mine).

MGO Member
    Thx, all. I was going to be on the phone with S&W this morning to complain & discuss. Now I'll be insistent on repairs or replacement.

It's great to be part of a Michigan community that's so knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you all.

Oh, and this is a brand new revolver, and the cylinder face looks surprisingly ok, versus around the forcing cone.

That could be caused by the cylinder's timing being a trade bit off.

S&W should fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    That could be caused by the cylinder's timing being a trade bit off.

S&W should fix it.

This.

Or a chamber may be cut off axis a hair and causing it. In either case S&W should fix it
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I have a police issue 66-1 that does this too. Typically with just .357. The gun was very loose when I got it, and i had the cylinder shimmed and a new locking lug installed by a smith. It still likes to shave jackets off and spit. When I shoot .357’s I’ll find copper slivers stuck between the forcing cone and top strap. It either doesn’t do it or I just don’t notice it with .38 lrn’s. I’ve resigned it to just being a .38

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I have a police issue 66-1 that does this too. Typically with just .357. The gun was very loose when I got it, and i had the cylinder shimmed and a new locking lug installed by a smith. It still likes to shave jackets off and spit. When I shoot .357’s I’ll find copper slivers stuck between the forcing cone and top strap. It either doesn’t do it or I just don’t notice it with .38 lrn’s. I’ve resigned it to just being a .38
    Police have been known to use their revolvers as impact weapons, especially back in the revolver era after nightsticks were withdrawn from service.

I have seen several police Smith revolvers with off axis barrels due to bent frames. They tend to misbehave during shooting and print well off their sights.

MGO Member
    She's on her way back to S&W.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast