Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BHP Clones

BHP Clones

So, I was an idiot a long time ago. I bought a great-condition Belgian-made Browning Hi-Power in the early 80's. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about guns then, and decided I wanted a 1911 in .45acp (go big or go home, right?) Plus, I wasn't much of a shooter, barely a plinkerer when I went to the range. I had an acquaintance that offered to trade, even-up, my BHP for his AMT Longslide. Sure, why not?

Skip ahead a few decades, and boy, do I ever miss that Hi-Power. And, looking at the prices on Gunbroker, I'm not sure if I'm willing to mortgage the house for one.

So, I find myself considering one of the clones. I see that Brownells is carrying the Tisas BR9, which seems to have good reviews. But, what are some of your thoughts? Anyone have a BHP clone that you would recommend?

And, please don't chastise me for something I did a long time ago in a fit of self-inflicted stupidity.

I have an insane collection of BHP's. It is the best natural shooting pistol. Point and Shoot is the smoothest transition a BHP pistol can do.

Enough of me. The Brownells BHP is not a POS. I was able to hold and tear one down. It pleases me to see a legend continue.

I really would like to shoot one, I guess I'm just waiting for Devil Dog to purchase one.

My only gripe for the BHP is the trigger guard needs a good undercut. Out side of that it is the perfect pistol to own.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I think we all missed the boat on BHP's. I would like to try one of the clones. I have Taurus M9 clones, TriStar CZ clones. Love them all. Somebody out there has one.

Don't feel too bad Mr. Waverly, I have sellers remorse from more than a few guns.

JohnJak, you need to give me a deal on one of yours from that INSANE COLLECTION.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Tisas is the worst Turkish manufacturer by far. Google stories about their notoriously soft steel deforming on their 1911's. It is common. If you must get a HiPower clone, go on gunbroker and look for "Fake FN", "Kareen", FEG 9HP, or a "Mauser" clone. Those are all top notch replicas that saw duty use overseas. Should find a gem for sub $500 or so.

Quick responses - thanks.

JohnJak, if you happen to have a second BHP that is just sitting there gathering dust (Devil Dog is first in line, I think), let me know. Even if its a little worn.

Devil Dog, do you have a CZ 97 clone? If not, I know where you can get a low-mileage, well-maintained, only driven on Sundays by a little old lady, SAR K2 .45.

And dwcopple, you've given me some additional search terms. I know what I'll be doing tonight (especially since Blue Bloods is a repeat).

like DW said the clones are good, a couple different features and finishes, like fegs you can find like new very good blueing, the kareens have three generations.

My fav, the FM, not FN, FM argentina, the detective short slide.

I am a Forum User
    The FEGs are nice and function reliably and shoot well. They just do not have the build quality of a browning. you get a lot more slide to frame play.

I am a Forum User
    I always considered my CZ-75 to be a BHP clone.. maybe a newer, more modern version.
    CZ doesn't have the pedigree of the Belgian Browning.. but from a function & accuracy standpoint,
    I believe it to be it's equal ..with it's extra mag capacity..maybe even superior.

I am a Forum User
    It's definitely superior. The browning trigger linkage to sear mechanism is a clunky mess of a design. The Tanfoglio Witness is even better than the CZ.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    like DW said the clones are good, a couple different features and finishes, like fegs you can find like new very good blueing, the kareens have three generations.

My fav, the FM, not FN, FM argentina, the detective short slide.

Don't know about the others, but the FM was a licensed copy.

I have an FM detective- I bought it a couple years ago and haven't shot it. Eventually it will go in for some serious work, end up with a really great looking compact BHP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast