Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Scope Decisions for My new rifle???

I just won a Ruger SR-762 in an auction and need to put some glass on it. I'm pretty set on Vortex since I get a decent discount, and their Warranty is hard to beat. My main questions are: Magnification, MIL vs MOA, and reticle. Just kinda getting options. If you have other brands in mind still feel free to throw your two cents in.

I am a Forum User
    What range are you realistically planning on using it at? How big are your targets at that range? How much do you want to spend? What kind of ammo are you planning on using in it? What times of the day or weather conditions are you planning on using it in?

I am a Forum User
    Probably no more than 600 yards. Silhouette targets, price under $1000, ammo type not sure. Haven't gotten back into reloading so probably will play around. Will run suppressed a lot so that'll change my range and ammo type if I run subs or supers. And the last question, during the day and whenever. Not planning to compete with it, got a great deal and figured I'd make it a useful tool. Be proficient at the range with it, maybe hunt with it. I currently have a Remy 700 5R with Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44. Only gotten out to 200 yards with that.

I am a Forum User
    I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp (Moa) on one of my rifles and love the scope!

I am a Forum User
    Athlon Ares BTR or ETR. Best high quality budget glass out there. The BTR is a 4-27x50 with a 30mm tube and has a street price of $850. The ETR has a 4-30x56 with a 34mm tube and has a street price of $1200. They both come in MOA and MIL with a lifetime warranty. I'm running a Chronos on my Cadex which is their top dog with a street price of $1700. I also used both the BTR and ETR on other rifles. I believe Athlon has everything Vortex has to offer but with better pricing and customer service. I became a dealer two years ago after trying them out and have since sold dozens. If interested I can get you below MAP pricing.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rif...r3-ffp-ir-moa/

https://athlonoptics.com/product-cat...opes-ares-etr/

I am a Forum User
    I can plus one Athlon being worth looking at. I have an Athlon Midas 1-6 with great glass for its price point it absolutely blows away the glass in similarly priced Vortex and is better and brighter than a lot of my other more expensive scopes. It’s my understanding that they source out all of their work to contractors but built to their specs the same as Vortex but due probably to less name recognition sell at a lower price point. I haven’t had it long enough to speak to durability or how accurately it tracks but I suspect durability will be fine and don’t plan on making many POI adjustments. Glass quality is very good.

Besides the question of the brand - of which I have been hearing good things on Athlons scopes as of late - the question of everything is really personal preference.

Mil vs MOA - different numbers in the same formula for range estimation, hold over, etc. And with ballistics apps which tell you how much to move the dail - it's whichever you want. Technically MIL is more precise than MOA but MOA does just fine for a lot of people and was king for a lot of years. I prefer MIL simply for the precision.

Recticle - holy smokes you have options. It depends on your use. It really boils down to 2 main types:
    * If this is going to be a long range plinker then you would do just fine with a traditional MIL/MOA reticle with hash marks. The christmas (Any reticle with a bunch of windage hold overs built into the reticle) tree ones will be overkill as you have the time to dial or to hold over.
    * If you want to be able to hold for anything while shooting upside down and eating pizza, then the christmas tree style reticles are good for you. If just takes a hot minute to get use to all those marks and how to quickly use it.

For magnification - I always say the most you can get. You can always zoom out but you can't ever zoom in more. For a 1000 yards, anything I would say 15 x on up would be fine.
    happy_gunner
    Proud Veteran & American
    In God We Trust

If you want a sweet deal on a 6-24x50 FFP MOA vortex Viper PST, send me a PM. I have one surplus to requirements, been to the range once.