Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Seeking Input For Left Handed Rifle Options In The Michigan Limited Firearms Zone **UPDATE**

---Update 10-9-19---
    I purchased the Savage Arms 110 Apex Hunter XP (LH) in 350 Legend - comes with a Vortex 3-9x40. Pretty excited about it - took it to the newly rebuilt range in Allegan last weekend and put 40 rounds through it (which is a pretty nice set-up!). Thanks for all the great responses everyone added in below!
    -------------------------

Hello everyone-

I'd like to get back into deer hunting after 20+ years off and the rules have changed! I'd like the option to confidently shoot in the 100-200 yard range if I'm presented the option.

I have a lefty Remington 1100 and a lefty Savage Mark II GL. I'd like to stick with left handed (or close to) options if possible because if I'm going to spend the money, I'd like to make it suited to me and I really enjoy not needing to adapt my use to make righty stuff work in my lefty world.

I know Ruger had a lefty American Ranch at one point but not anymore. It doesn't look like any other manufacturer is making a lefty .450 BM

I know more manufactures are making rifle options for the .350 legend but so far no one has a lefty. Should I be patient and wait and see if anyone makes a lefty for me?

Savage has a great line of lefties but nothing straight walled to meet our MLFZ needs. Is it possible to replace a barrel on a .308? But then we're getting into custom work and I don't want to break the bank.

I've gone down the road of looking at top eject lever action however I have a concern with the way these scopes are mounted that it would still send the case to the right - though this is a guess. I'd love to be corrected.

I've gone down the road of looking at single shots, which there are plenty of solutions for. Everyone tells me that I'm never going to get a second shot off so a single shot would suffice. However, the nature of the beast makes me not want to monkey with swapping rounds one at a time (none of the single shooters I've found auto eject). I'll listen to you trying to convince me a single shooter is fine. But I would love a bolt.

The Rossi Circuit Judge is a wildly strange firearm and I don't know what to make of it (45 Colt/410-GA combo revolver rifle thing).

I own a .357 magnum revolver and part of me thinks it would be great to have a rifle that matches my revolver.

Commercial rounds that meet the MLFZ requirements that I am aware of: .350 legend, .357 magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .450 Bushmaster - am I missing any rounds? Do any manufactures currently make a lefty (non AR platform) multi round rifle that I am not aware of?

Thank you for reading and I would love to hear your input.
    Last edited by PGWG; 10-09-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Found a solution

I am a Forum User
    I'm also a lefty, and went through this for myself too. I decided to buy a savage 308, and I am in the middle of re-barrelling with a 450 BM barrel. There is no way I am saving money vs buying a lefty ruger, but I'm having fun.

Since I started buying parts to build my 450, a lot more options have become available, and I'm not sure if it is the best choice now.

MGO Member
    I see LH Ruger Americans in .223 on GB for less than $380. Get a RH American in 350 Legend and swap the barrels and magazines. You can then sell the new RH American in .223 and get your lefty at a decent price.
    I would think RH and LH mags would be the same

After looking at the 350 Legend American Ranch rifle, I see it has been modified to use a 5rd. AR magazine. I still think the swap is possible without much trouble.
    Last edited by john.41; 06-05-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: More info.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Casualty and john.41 those are both great ideas! I'm curious about the magazines though - Casualty were there any issues in swapping these out? I feel like maybe this is the only potential flaw in the system because if I could have it my way, I'd roll with the 350 legend bolt and call it a day.

I am a Forum User
    Did you check with Randy in bad axe. I got a left handed 450bm from him it's listed on there site. I also just got a 350legend barrel from cmmg for an ar15.

I am a Forum User
    I haven't messed with the mag yet. I should have it completed in a few weeks though. I'll try to remember to post an update.

I am a Forum User
    Single shots are a viable option and with some practice can be operated pretty quickly. Of the 9 single shots I've had only 2 didn't auto eject. Keep in mind most won't do this until you've fired. Lakeshore bait and tackle in Saugatuck currently has a Henry single shots in 357 to match your revolver or 45-70 for bit more range. I would be thrilled to rebarrel a h&r handi rifle in 350 legend. If your range requirements were under 100 yards a 44 special revolver would do well. Of course I enjoy these kinds of discussions and could keep going but I should be good and stop. Hqppy searching

I am a Forum User
    357 Maximum is rimmed round that is very similar to 350 Legend but has been around a while and has a loyal following. It meets the southern MI regulations for deer hunting. You could shoot 357 Mag in it also. Many H&R’s have been converted from 357 Mag to Max by just reaming the chamber. You can rent the reamer pretty cheaply and do it yourself.
    Last edited by Garandsrus; 06-04-2019 at 12:42 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I am a lefty and use Ruger Redhawk revolvers or Marlin 1894 lever action rifles in .44 Magnum where I hunt, south of you. Typical shots are 35 - 50 yards, never much beyond 100 yards. Deer hereabouts don't loiter in the corn fields, at least during hunting hours. Darwinian selection .

Marlin 1894 rifles in .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum accept conventional top mount scopes and are more than adequate out to 150 yards for deer. A 2˝ power, fixed power scope works well. Four power is tops. .44 Magnum ammunition is cheaper than the latest and greatest cartridges, so you can get a lot of practice. Get an older one before Cerberus and you can be certain that it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by PGWG View Post
    Hello everyone-

I'd like to get back into deer hunting after 20+ years off and the rules have changed! I'd like the option to confidently shoot in the 100-200 yard range if I'm presented the option.

I have a lefty Remington 1100 and a lefty Savage Mark II GL. I'd like to stick with left handed (or close to) options if possible because if I'm going to spend the money, I'd like to make it suited to me and I really enjoy not needing to adapt my use to make righty stuff work in my lefty world.

I know Ruger had a lefty American Ranch at one point but not anymore. It doesn't look like any other manufacturer is making a lefty .450 BM
    The Rossi Circuit Judge is a wildly strange firearm and I don't know what to make of it (45 Colt/410-GA combo revolver rifle thing).

I own a .357 magnum revolver and part of me thinks it would be great to have a rifle that matches my revolver.

Commercial rounds that meet the MLFZ requirements that I am aware of: .350 legend, .357 magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .450 Bushmaster - am I missing any rounds? Do any manufactures currently make a lefty (non AR platform) multi round rifle that I am not aware of?

Thank you for reading and I would love to hear your input.
    I would say if they did not make the 450 and 350 legal a 357 or 44 mag would be a great choice.

You get way more power, less drop, more range for the same price or cheaper with a 450 american.

I would get a 450 american and then sell it in a few years if what you want pops up.

Also follow up on that randys lead, if he has it, thats your high value solution .... 450 american is the answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast