Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Location of safe in basement

When I get my safe, I plan on at least installing it in a corner of the basement as I read that putting it in a corner will keep it cooler in the event in a fire. My question is if anyone thinks it would be beneficial to put a block wall up on the third side of the safe to help further shield from heat in event of fire?

I am a Forum User
    In a basement fire is less of a threat than water. Fire burns upwards (heat rises). The fire department pours a lot of water on a fire that floods a basement. Aftermarket heat seals that swell up and prevent water entering is important. A basement is the best place fo a safe since in a fire it will end up in the basement anyway, possible failing 2 floors and breaking open. I would however bolt it to both the floor and 2 walls to make it immobile.

I am a Forum User
    Corners are preferred as it blocks access to the sides and corners of the safe as those are usually the most vulnerable, and from being easily tipped over to make prying easier. Any RSC (residential security container) gun safe can be cut into with a powered sawz all pretty quickly. Bolt it down to the concrete, and adding a cinder block wall on the exposed side isn't a bad idea. People have also expressed the opinion that having multiples safes is a good idea, as it's not a one and done scenario as far as breaking in goes.

What elwarpo said about fire and water is the truth.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Corners are preferred as it blocks access to the sides and corners of the safe as those are usually the most vulnerable, and from being easily tipped over to make prying easier. Any RSC (residential security container) gun safe can be cut into with a powered sawz all pretty quickly. Bolt it down to the concrete, and adding a cinder block wall on the exposed side isn't a bad idea. People have also expressed the opinion that having multiples safes is a good idea, as it's not a one and done scenario as far as breaking in goes.

What elwarpo said about fire and water is the truth.
    Good post. If you do not put up the block wall put the lock side against the existing wall to limit prying attacks. If you do put up a block wall make sure it can't be used as a fulcrum to pry on the door, (don't stop the wall even with the safe.)
    I did not have a usable corner, water heater in one, electrical panel in the other, other two living space. I was able to bolt to the wall to prevent tipping.

If you can also frame a wall above your safe and bolt it to the wall, it will not be easy to tip out. Once the safe is on it's back it can be pried open quickly.

Water was my main concern, followed by fire, followed by a skilled/ determined attack (something more than a smash n’ grab).

What was recommended to me by a couple safe distributors, was to not use a pedestal, but rather use liquid nails on a series of 12x12’s to the basement slab, and then lag bolt the safe to the 12x12’s. With this, you have 12” of flood protection, and with it bolted/ bonded to the floor it won’t tip over.

I was warned about bolting directly to the slab by one distributor. My home is waterfront, and my slab is actually more than a foot below the waterline. He warned that late model home contractors (mine is 2003) would often go cheap with slab pours. He’s found some that were as thin as 2”. He said he’s run a drill clear through what should have been a 4-6” slab in just 2”, spouting a fountain of ground water. He was the one that strongly recommended using thick timbers and liquid nails. Though, in my instance, the safe in question is physically impossible to navigate up the basement stairs, so a theft with a hydraulic jack and a dolly is out of the question.

I dont think you have considered how safe breaking works. Watch this.

https://youtu.be/B8ViUdd-2LM

I am a Forum User
    Maybe if you Could fabricate a piece of sheet steel above it to help hold up the heat in the event of a fire, then it could help.

I am a Forum User
    I have heard from investigating officers, it is wise to have the safe bolted and located far away from walkout sliders and egress windows (think log chain and pickup truck)

JMO: Locate it away from gas, electric and water lines so fewer eyes are on it (contractors, inspectors etc). Unless you want it to be part of your crib decor.

I am a Forum User
    I have my safe in the basement. I put it up off the floor to avoid moisture issues. The problem is that if the safe sits directly on the floor - you get a transfter of heat/cold from the metal safe body - to the concrete floor. Since - especially in summer and winter the difference between air temp and concrete floor temp can be pretty drastic - this can lead to condensation. Putting the safe up off the floor helps prevent this. I have noticed over many years that things left directly on a concrete floor will tend to rust much more quickly than things that are set up off a concrete floor. Especially in a non temperature controlled area.

I have one of those "golden rod" heated rods in my safe - mounted on the floor so the heat travels up. And there are a bunch of the small dessicant type dehumidifiers in the safe itself too. This seems to work pretty well at a keep moisture problems at bay.