Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4690 of 2019 - Provide for certain requirements before individual may rent, lease or loan a firearm

HB 4690 of 2019
    Weapons; firearms; certain requirements before individual may rent, lease, or loan a firearm; provide for. Amends 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.421 - 28.435) by adding sec. 2c.
    Last Action: 6/6/2019 bill electronically reproduced 06/05/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This is very similar to SB 1044 of 2018

It applies to ranges and requires that, before renting or loaning a firearm to an individual, that individual be run through NICS or have a CPL or have a LTP.

If a range's employee fails to verify the above, the range is subject to a $500 civil infraction fine.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

And as norm, they have completely ignored the need for youth instruction.

Do these Dims ever think things through before they introduce them?

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    This is very similar to SB 1044 of 2018

It applies to ranges and requires that, before renting or loaning a firearm to an individual, that individual be run through NICS or have a CPL or have a LTP.

If a range's employee fails to verify the above, the range is subject to a $500 civil infraction fine.
    i contacted my Rep on this one.
    Here is Rep Kevin Hertel's (D) reply and our exchange:

Dear Representative Hertel,

Please oppose HB 4690.
    This is a terrible bill.
    Among other things, it would make it near impossible to teach gun safety to our youth, novice hunters and sportsmen/sportswomen.
    Since target shooting and hunting are such a large industry in our State, this bill would also hurt our economy. We are already struggling to encourage our youth to follow in the hunting and outdoor sport tradition; please do not make it any harder.

===========================================
    Dear Lance,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding House Bill 4690.

While I appreciate the need to train young people in novices and gun safety, I do not believe this bill takes away that right. The bill states that a participant in a gun range must either have a valid weapons license or not be prohibited from owning a firearm under federal law. Its sole goal is to prevent those who have been convicted of violent crimes from exploiting loopholes in gun use laws.

This bill is currently assigned to the House Judiciary Committee, where it awaits a hearing by the Chair. To track the progress of this legislation, please visit www.legislature.mi.gov.

Once again, thank you for your email. Please feel free to write to me if I may ever be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Kevin Hertel

State Representative

District 18

517-373-1180

==============================================
    Thank you for your reply Representative Hertel.

Please think unintended consequences, Representative Hertel.
    People under 21 cannot get a "weapons license" as you call it (CPL?).
    In addition, most Michigan adult residents and hunters (or, would be hunters) do not yet possess a CPL.
    Yet, thousands of people under 21, and adults without CPL's, are taught gun safety in Hunters Ed classes every year.
    People under 21 may not purchase a handgun, or pistol, from an FFL, nor own a pistol while under 18, yet I started teaching my daughters to safely handle pistols at an early age.
    I hope to begin teaching my granddaughter to safely enjoy shooting sports very soon.

I speak only for myself Congressman, but I can say with confidence that every sportsman's and hunting organization in the State of Michigan will vigorously oppose this bill. And, who would know the merits (or, lack thereof) of this bill better than those of us who use and train and teach with guns every day?
    ================================================== ================

Hello again Lance,

I just wanted to clarify—as long as any of the people you mention are not federally banned from possessing a weapon because of a background check, they will still be able to participate at shooting ranges. I do not intend to take away ability to participate in the sport from anyone who has not committed a crime demonstrating their lack of gun safety or proving violence and would not vote for such a bill.

Best,

Kevin

Hello again Lance,

I just wanted to clarify—as long as any of the people you mention are not federally banned from possessing a weapon because of a background check, they will still be able to participate at shooting ranges. I do not intend to take away ability to participate in the sport from anyone who has not committed a crime demonstrating their lack of gun safety or proving violence and would not vote for such a bill.

Best,

Kevin
    Hello Kevin, you ignorant self promoting fool.

You are requiring those that are not old enough to apply for a background check to pass a background check.

my rep isn't any better

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    That's why I just delete any email that starts with "Please contact your ... and ask them to oppose..."
    Mine are also witless bots (D), in lockstep with the party line, and will not listen to logic.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    Can you run a NICS on a minor? How would a minor even prove their own name?

Quote Originally Posted by eightbit View Post
    Can you run a NICS on a minor? How would a minor even prove their own name?
    Student ID?