Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Walther PP 7.65mm

Hi all, I recently purchased a Walther PP in 7.65mm with the serial number 123182 P. It has the EN mark on the slide, on the barrel of the ejection port, and the end of the barrel. There are no other markings on the gun except for light wear. It also doesn't have the magazine, which the auction house said it did and will hear from me on that. I probably over paid, but I took a gamble that it could be some of the rarer models. Not sure what I was thinking as I got a little too involved in my fantasy!

From my limited research, the serial number puts it at manufactured in 1938, however I find that hard to believe as it doesn't have the other marks it should from that time period.

Can anyone please shed some light on what I have here and it's approximate value? I'll get some pictures uploaded.

20190606_192230.jpg
    20190606_192237.jpg
    20190606_192243.jpg

I am a Forum User
    You have a middle period, pre-war commercial Walther PP. It has all the improvements made in the first three years of production and none of the economies which were adopted from 1940 on. It was most likely sold to an individual within Germany, but could have been carried as a private 'honor pistol' by a high ranking police, military, or SS official. The only export pistols from that era which were not proofed by the recipient country were those which went to Switzerland and the U.S., but these were few in number. The Swiss recognized German proofs, but no one else in Europe did.

These pre-war PP pistols usually have the last digits of the frame scribed inside the slide in the vicinity of the ejection port, but not always. A matching slide usually raises the value by about $ 100. A mismatched slide is a detriment. A correct magazine (polished body and base plate) will cost you around $ 150, but it will function with post-war magazines without any problems. Pre-war magazines are still offered from time to time on GunBroker.

These pistols, without magazines, usually sell for around $ 400. Most are in far worse condition than yours, so yours might be worth $ 500 without a magazine.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    You have a middle period, pre-war commercial Walther PP. It has all the improvements made in the first three years of production and none of the economies which were adopted from 1940 on. It was most likely sold to an individual within Germany, but could have been carried as a private 'honor pistol' by a high ranking police, military, or SS official. The only export pistols from that era which were not proofed by the recipient country were those which went to Switzerland and the U.S., but these were few in number. The Swiss recognized German proofs, but no one else in Europe did.

These pre-war PP pistols usually have the last digits of the frame scribed inside the slide in the vicinity of the ejection port, but not always. A matching slide usually raises the value by about $ 100. A mismatched slide is a detriment. A correct magazine (polished body and base plate) will cost you around $ 150, but it will function with post-war magazines without any problems. Pre-war magazines are still offered from time to time on GunBroker.

These pistols, without magazines, usually sell for around $ 400. Most are in far worse condition than yours, so yours might be worth $ 500 without a magazine.
    Thanks! Even though we disagree about the NRA, you're still a helpful dude.

I am a Forum User
    Walther PP and PPK pistols were so popular after their introduction that they were always sold out within Germany. Walther was too poorly capitalized to expand production much. Walther did not build a new production hall until the P.38 contract was landed, and that capacity was paid for by the HWA and could not be used for commercial production.

Very few Walther commercial pistols were exported until 1938 when a change in German gun control law severely regulated handguns. From 1938 on, most commercial Walthers were sold to government, police, military, NSDAP or SS officials - all of whom were exempted from the new gun control laws under the ehrenpistole concept. The 1938 gun control law did free up some Walther production for export, but this ended with the invasion of Poland in 1939. During this year long period, Walther exported mostly sales samples to prospective importers around the world. Just a few to each country.

In all likelihood, your Walther PP was purchased by some low level functionary at the Reichsbahn or other government sinecure.