Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Silencer That Recesses on the Barrel

I remember a while back seeing on PewTube and in the usual gun magazine about a silencer that slides onto the barrel in such a way that an amount of the can sits rearward of the threading making it somewhat like a "bullpup" silencer but I never made note of it and can't seem to find it via Google. Anyone know the one I'm thinking of and if it's any good? Don't know if and when my fortunes will change and I can get one, but I can at least bookmark it and put it on a future shopping list.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

over-barrel design.
    there are at least a few brands doing it.
    surefire had one, amtac has some now. I guess they're popular in europe, but not so much here?
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

https://amtacsuppressors.com/product...56-suppressor/

AMTAC makes some. Not sure how good they are, seems to be a pretty strange design.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/spr-...lencer-5-56mm/

Griffin also makes one. It doesn't cover as much of the barrel as Amtac but at least you have some options.

Personally I think it's more efficient to just SBR your gun and put a standard suppressor on it if you're worried about total length, less chance of issues.
    Canadian Import.
    μολὼν λαβέ, Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    Reddit: u/MapleSyrupJediV2 moderator of r/GunAccessoriesForSale & r/MiGuns

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    Personally I think it's more efficient to just SBR your gun and put a standard suppressor on it if you're worried about total length, less chance of issues.
    stamp collections!
    I like the concept though, and i've thought about it. a 10" barrel with an extra 6" of can hanging off is still 16"
    unfortunately these designs only take maybe 3" off the total, so it's shorter... but not by a lot. and then you also have to worry about your barrel diameter, your handguards, your gas block position in some cases. I finally settled on a regular QD design from YHM with a few mounts so that multiple rifles can share the same cheap can. works great. I want another.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

The type of can in question is a reflex suppressor design.

OSS is one of the big players in the reflex suppressor market.

CZ even has a reflex design out now...

I am a Forum User
    The volume created around the barrel allows the designer to reduce the pressure and temperature of the gasses coursing through the baffle stage of the suppressor. It is a volumetric reservoir. This takes advantage of the thermodynamic equations of state to reduce gas velocities at the exhaust port(s). Sound pressure is, to a great extent, a function of exhaust gas velocity.

The British were the first to adopt volumetric reservoirs in their Welrod and Sten Mark IIS silencers. The H&K MP.5SD is the most popular current example. It is an effective improvement in suppressor design.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    The H&K MP.5SD is the most popular current example. It is an effective improvement in suppressor design.
    The great thing about an MP5SD is being able to use 124gr NATO ball ammo and the barrel/suppressor combo will make it subsonic. VERY low sound signature.

If I didn't have so many 9mm SBRs I would get one. If I could afford the $35k for a transferable one I would get that too lol.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Always liked the idea of the reflex design and was looking to form 1 one, but after reading up on it for a while you will find most "experts" think a traditional style is better all around.

For instance, from a thread on arfcom:

As a silencer designer, I can tell you some reasons:

--The extra volume behind the muzzle is overrated. It doesn't help as much as you think. There are other factors I can control forward of the muzzle that will have greater impact.
    --It makes the can heavier without a proportional improvement in sound reduction.
    --I'm designing for something outside my control. There will always be someone asking for that real estate behind the muzzle. Gas blocks, rail systems, barrels with large OD, varying muzzle device cross-compatibility, ect. There will always be someone asking for some variant or mad that it won't fit on their weird one-off rifle.

Don't get me wrong, there are positives, but they're very specialized in relation to the rest of the can. I love my Ops Inc 12th model (AEM5 now). It's phenomenal. It's the quietest 556 can I've ever sound tested (muzzle and at-ear). But, it has the tightest bore of any can I've ever seen. It can do that because of the mounting method and it relies on that bore to work as well as it does on that SPR rifle platform. If you opened it up it would sound, well, like a Surefire. I've never seen a military one without a cap strike. (not all cans use the two point method AE does, so there's little benefit there to any AAC, Surefire, etc.). I've metered our Sandman-L within one dB of the 12th model with similar awesome at-ear results and it has a bore that is over .100" larger in diameter. Closer to a full 1/8" at the front cap. It also weighs less and can be used on 7.62 as well.

Having said all that, I'm sure I'll design something someday with some behind-the-muzzle volume. But it'll be balanced with a really well designed baffle stack and it'll also invariably be a very specialized suppressor.

Todd Magee
    Dead Air Engineering
    If it has a two point mounting system, you really need a specialized collar at the rear end that incorporates that particular barrels profile to make sure it locks up straight. But I still like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    https://amtacsuppressors.com/product...56-suppressor/

AMTAC makes some. Not sure how good they are, seems to be a pretty strange design.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/spr-...lencer-5-56mm/

Griffin also makes one. It doesn't cover as much of the barrel as Amtac but at least you have some options.

I'm planning to put it on a .300blk Tavor so I'd have to see how much barrel I have to work with once I have the rifle in hand. I plan on the Tavor being my "I'm pretty sure that was a bad noise" gun. Length is a priority but I'm also tempted by the OSS Helix since I might not gas myself to death then. The AMTAC is also a good bit cheaper than the Helix so I'll have to look into some reviews of it.