Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I think option A may be the easiest option. It is certainly the one that would allow the least amount of censorship and make any kind of content-based monitoring simple. We already deal with things on a case-by-case basis and it is been far from easy. How do you deal with people that are "not the best representation" without censoring what they say?
    Ive spent some time since joining here to review a lot of issues and comments with little to no context going back as far as 2014, so bear in mind I may not be 100% accurate on the past issues and strifes. This community forums shouldn't be a black sheep to the ORG, but a tool to keep the ORG and Community together between events and to help new and potential members.

The issue I see arising from this is some feel that the Forums and certain topics/people's opinion will/has tarnished the image of the ORG as a whole. I would have to disagree with that and with the idea of censorship. Obviously rules and Terms of Service apply to this forum and its community/ORG, however I feel the solution is more of a passive approach. The forums should have staff that are not separete from the ORG entity, as such the staff of the ORG and Forums should be cautious of their opinion, their title and role within the ORG will overshadow their individual opinion. This is common sense to me when you are in a place of responsibility, your opinions will often be taken as that of the position/title you hold and would be seen as a reflection of the entities stance. Is this fair? No. Is it how reality works? Yes.... ALL staff should bear in mind on having self control when vocalizing your personal opinion as it will most not likely be taken as an opinion of your position and not of individuality. This is how it works in almost every aspect of Business.

Censorship is NEVER a positive thing. Period. Ever. And now to my not so PC opinion; Those people who feel that random members opinions on any topic(controversial or not) are somehow a reflection of the ORG as a whole are sadly misguided and would no doubt have an IQ that is sub-100 and should not have a bearing on the ORG or the Staff. There will always be those with a dissenting opinion, however they should not have the power of influence over anyone or any policies.

TL;DR
    Option A would be harmful, counter-productive and divisive

Option B with detailed outlined rules, policies and procedures on how to handle such infractions would be a working solution.
    Last edited by SkyArms-Sean; 06-27-2019 at 03:08 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    ...How do you deal with people that are "not the best representation" without censoring what they say?
    Same way you deal with an employee that jeopardizes the companies reputation. There have to be clear guidelines that are expected to be followed in order to keep the ORG's mission and reputation in tact. Give people a private section to discuss controversial topics like politics etc. Those topics dont relate to the ORG so they shouldn't be visible to the public. Once they are visible then they become relative to the perception of the ORG. Just like some topics at work aren't appropriate so people are expected to have them outside of the companies common area.

The only sections that should be visible are gun related and law related topics as that's what the ORG's mission is about. Once you've removed the problematic sections from the public eye then you can get a handle on certain peoples actions without censoring them. Right now you guys have to judge every little post because anyone and everyone sees it. You essentially could loosen up a bit like you do in the pit.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyArms-Sean View Post
    Ive spent some time since joining here to review a lot of issues and comments with little to no context going back as far as 2014, so bear in mind I may not be 100% accurate on the past issues and strifes.
    First of all, welcome.

Censorship is NEVER a positive thing. Period. Ever.
    Generally, I would agree with you, but this is first and foremost, a place to educate the public on guns and gun rights. Anti-gun trolls and other people that come here solely to sow dissent and spew anti-gun nonsense will get the boot. This has always been the case.

And now to my not so PC opinion; Those people who feel that random members opinions on any topic(controversial or not) are somehow a reflection of the ORG as a whole are sadly misguided and would no doubt have an IQ that is sub-100 and should not have a bearing on the ORG or the Staff.
    Even if we were to assume this were true, if you look at the IQ bell curve, this represents a huge number of people. In a perfect world, people would be able to separate the comments of group members from the group. We all know this doesn't happen. That ship has sailed.

We have a fairly robust AUP. Even with that, it can very difficult to figure out what is an actual "personal attack," or what is "hate speech."

There will always be those with a dissenting opinion, however they should not have the power of influence over anyone or any policies.

TL;DR
    Option A would be harmful, counter-productive and divisive

Option B with detailed outlined rules, policies and procedures on how to handle such infractions would be a working solution.[/QUOTE]
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerV76 View Post
    Same way you deal with an employee that jeopardizes the companies reputation. There have to be clear guidelines that are expected to be followed in order to keep the ORG's mission and reputation in tact. Give people a private section to discuss controversial topics like politics etc. Those topics dont relate to the ORG so they shouldn't be visible to the public. Once they are visible then they become relative to the perception of the ORG. Just like some topics at work aren't appropriate so people are expected to have them outside of the companies common area.

The only sections that should be visible are gun related and law related topics as that's what the ORG's mission is about. Once you've removed the problematic sections from the public eye then you can get a handle on certain peoples actions without censoring them. Right now you guys have to judge every little post because anyone and everyone sees it. You essentially could loosen up a bit like you do in the pit.
    I think this is a huge help, but I still see one glaring problem and that is that there are a number of people that leave MGO because of something related to the forum. This should never be happening. If you look at the mission statement, MGO does not exist to maintain a discussion group. I suppose you could say that it is part of educating the public, but a significant amount of the discussion relates to OT stuff.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

MGO Member
    As I recall it, The forum was first and the MGO Org grew from it.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213