Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MGO Board of Directors

HB 4770 of 2019
    Weapons; firearms; certain provisions regarding weapons; repeal. Amends secs. 231 & 237a of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.231 & 750.237a) & repeals secs. 227, 227a, 227c, 227d, 231a & 234d of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.227 et seq.).
    Last Action: 4/23/2020 Analysis File Added

HB 4771 of 2019
    Weapons; firearms; 1927 PA 372; update references. Amends secs. 2, 2a, 5b, 5o, 12 & 15 of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 et seq.). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4770'19

HB 4772 of 2019
    Weapons; firearms; natural resources and environmental protection act; update references. Amends sec. 43510 of 1994 PA 451 (MCL 324.43510). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4770'19

HB 4773 of 2019
    Weapons; firearms; sentencing guidelines; update references. Amends sec. 12, ch. IX & secs. 11b & 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 769.12 et seq.). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4770'19

HB 4774 of 2019
    Weapons; firearms; corrections code of 1953; update references. Amends sec. 33b of 1953 PA 232 (MCL 791.233b). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4770'19

Analysis file for the above bills:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...0-0BB5B6D3.pdf
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Bump to repeal the coat tax. Nothing has happened in a year? This is a salient issue in other states right now. The “adjudicated” question on the CPL application is too restrictive and unconstitutional. One can very easily be adjudicated, but found not guilty (and therefore shall suffer no restrictions of rights and freedoms) which would allow them to buy and own as many guns as they would like, and open carry them.

Why are their freedoms restricted, and why must others pay the state a coat tax? It used to be such that a LEO could see if you had a CPL in their car prior to approaching your vehicle - but that’s not even the case any longer. They can’t tell if you have one, and they approach all vehicles as if they may.

Would it help to advance the case if an individual with the above circumstances came forward to sue or petition the state?

What’s the point of the license at this point other than to restrict freedoms?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by ShootGuns View Post
    Bump to repeal the coat tax. Nothing has happened in a year? This is a salient issue in other states right now. The “adjudicated” question on the CPL application is too restrictive and unconstitutional. One can very easily be adjudicated, but found not guilty (and therefore shall suffer no restrictions of rights and freedoms) which would allow them to buy and own as many guns as they would like, and open carry them.

Why are their freedoms restricted, and why must others pay the state a coat tax? It used to be such that a LEO could see if you had a CPL in their car prior to approaching your vehicle - but that’s not even the case any longer. They can’t tell if you have one, and they approach all vehicles as if they may.

Would it help to advance the case if an individual with the above circumstances came forward to sue or petition the state?

What’s the point of the license at this point other than to restrict freedoms?
    The legislative session that considered this bill has ended.

Reach out to Representative Steve Johnson and urge him to re-introduce this bill.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Below is a copy of my email to him:

Dear Mr. Johnson,

First and foremost, Happy Easter! I hope this email finds you and your family healthy and happy.

I am writing to urge you to reintroduce 4770 for constitutional carry. Our CPL questionnaire is now wholly unconstitutional and it exists solely to restrict the rights of law abiding citizens to protect themselves. The “adjudicated” question is the problem - it is what it unconstitutional and restrictive. An individual can very easily be adjudicated for a case and found innocent (and subsequently not suffer any loss of rights or freedoms) which would then allow them to legally own as many firearms as they would like to, and carry them in an open carry fashion.

Why are these people’s rights infringed upon? Why does an adjudication matter of one is found innocent. Our CPL application is frankly in direct conflict with the 4th amendment. What we have now essentially amounts to a “coat tax.” If I want to have my coat covering a sidearm I have to pay a tax - or worse, I am deprived of equal rights as a citizen who is innocent until proven guilty. So much for due process and equal protection under the law.

Additionally, Constitutional carry is a salient issue in a number of other states now as other states’ streets are becoming flooded with violent criminals and violence is on the rise. In our state, Dana Nessel has made it clear she does not care to pursue justice for the victims of murder and the Netflix special “White Boy Rick” has exposed the corruption in Michigan to an international audience. We are not safe. We have state sponsored hitmen who have lists of victims they are to pursue and this has been going on for 30 years. Said hitmen (one admitted to over 30 murders) are out free on the streets today after having served a lesser sentence than some non violent criminals. We should be able to defend ourselves and our families against these people.

Moreover, the police used to be able to tell if an individual they stopped had a CPL by Looking at their computer, but this is no longer the case due to the 2013 security breach. Now, police approach each vehicle as if they are armed, and the issuance of a CPL gives them no advance warning of armament. We have essentially been on the honor system as it pertains to CPL’s since 2013, and those with any honor would announce their possession of a weapon to a police officer regardless of carrying the license.

So, I ask you sir, what is the point of the license? Seriously? It no longer gives police a warning and it restricts the rights of legal gun owners to bear arms outside of their home. The intent of the state to allow an individual to bear a firearm outside of their home to defend themselves is also explicit in the “stand your ground clause.” This clause applies to defense outside of the home specifically. I should be able to carry a handgun for protection when I leave my house if I can legally own it, there should be no other restrictions, and I shouldn’t have to walk around looking like John Wayne by open carrying. I support open carry, but for most people it’s weird and draws undue attention and it creates an environment where a firearm is accessible to another person as it is not covered by clothes. Concealed carry is safer for the public than open carry, plain and simple.

I would be happy to discuss the matter further, and help in any way that I can.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by ShootGuns View Post
    Below is a copy of my email to him:

Dear Mr. Johnson,

First and foremost, Happy Easter! I hope this email finds you and your family healthy and happy.

I am writing to urge you to reintroduce 4770 for constitutional carry. Our CPL questionnaire is now wholly unconstitutional and it exists solely to restrict the rights of law abiding citizens to protect themselves. The “adjudicated” question is the problem - it is what it unconstitutional and restrictive. An individual can very easily be adjudicated for a case and found innocent (and subsequently not suffer any loss of rights or freedoms) which would then allow them to legally own as many firearms as they would like to, and carry them in an open carry fashion.

Why are these people’s rights infringed upon? Why does an adjudication matter of one is found innocent. Our CPL application is frankly in direct conflict with the 4th amendment. What we have now essentially amounts to a “coat tax.” If I want to have my coat covering a sidearm I have to pay a tax - or worse, I am deprived of equal rights as a citizen who is innocent until proven guilty. So much for due process and equal protection under the law.

Additionally, Constitutional carry is a salient issue in a number of other states now as other states’ streets are becoming flooded with violent criminals and violence is on the rise. In our state, Dana Nessel has made it clear she does not care to pursue justice for the victims of murder and the Netflix special “White Boy Rick” has exposed the corruption in Michigan to an international audience. We are not safe. We have state sponsored hitmen who have lists of victims they are to pursue and this has been going on for 30 years. Said hitmen (one admitted to over 30 murders) are out free on the streets today after having served a lesser sentence than some non violent criminals. We should be able to defend ourselves and our families against these people.

Moreover, the police used to be able to tell if an individual they stopped had a CPL by Looking at their computer, but this is no longer the case due to the 2013 security breach. Now, police approach each vehicle as if they are armed, and the issuance of a CPL gives them no advance warning of armament. We have essentially been on the honor system as it pertains to CPL’s since 2013, and those with any honor would announce their possession of a weapon to a police officer regardless of carrying the license.

So, I ask you sir, what is the point of the license? Seriously? It no longer gives police a warning and it restricts the rights of legal gun owners to bear arms outside of their home. The intent of the state to allow an individual to bear a firearm outside of their home to defend themselves is also explicit in the “stand your ground clause.” This clause applies to defense outside of the home specifically. I should be able to carry a handgun for protection when I leave my house if I can legally own it, there should be no other restrictions, and I shouldn’t have to walk around looking like John Wayne by open carrying. I support open carry, but for most people it’s weird and draws undue attention and it creates an environment where a firearm is accessible to another person as it is not covered by clothes. Concealed carry is safer for the public than open carry, plain and simple.

I would be happy to discuss the matter further, and help in any way that I can.
    Awesome letter! Thank you for your grass roots activism!

I agree with everything Tom said. Will add that open carry in a crowd is just plain stupid.
    Imagine what it would be like being in a place like a Palace type venue with hundreds of
    folks pressed together while open carrying. A thieves paradise. Concealed is concealed. No one
    need know you're carrying.

That should be all those folks in Lansing should look at is safety.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Thanks guys! I’ll let you know if he responds. I’ll call him if he doesn’t.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123