Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: 617 optics

MGO Member

617 optics

Well, I got my new 617-6 back from S&W fully repaired. Now I need to address the black on black stock sights, which are not working well with my older eyes and progressive lenses. I'm thinking of replacing the front sight with a fiber optic. Any suggestions on that or another solution? Thx much in advance.

I am a Forum User
    I got a Dawson fiber optic front sight for mine. The only thing is that the front sight from Dawson comes without a hole. You need a gunsmith to drill a hole. I got mine installed by the gun smith at the Firing line in Westland. They have a great gun smith that works there on a part time basis. I dropped my gun there and picked it up in three or four days period.. Excellent sight picture and very quick to acquire.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    I got a Dawson fiber optic front sight for mine. The only thing is that the front sight from Dawson comes without a hole. You need a gunsmith to drill a hole. I got mine installed by the gun smith at the Firing line in Westland. They have a great gun smith that works there on a part time basis. I dropped my gun there and picked it up in three or four days period.. Excellent sight picture and very quick to acquire.
    Thx much.

I am a Forum User
    Widening the rear sight notch can often help older eyes perform better with conventional iron sights. A weak reading glass prescription often helps define the front sight as well. It is not really necessary to have a well defined image of the target, but a well defined image of the front sight is essential to accurate pistol shooting.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Widening the rear sight notch can often help older eyes perform better with conventional iron sights. A weak reading glass prescription often helps define the front sight as well. It is not really necessary to have a well defined image of the target, but a well defined image of the front sight is essential to accurate pistol shooting.
    Thx. With my progressive lenses I do look thru the lower portion, which is for nearer focus.

Quote Originally Posted by tkurban53 View Post
    Thx. With my progressive lenses I do look thru the lower portion, which is for nearer focus.
    Looking through the lower portion of your glasses makes for different problems with your stance and progressives with their limited focus area add to it. I know, I wear progressives myself.
    The reading glasses suggestion is a good one, that my eye doctor recommended I try when I discussed my problem with him about seeing handgun sights. They seem to work, experimenting with the wife’s readers, but I didn’t find any with a large enough lens to satisfy my safety desires at our local Meijers and dropped the idea. Recently I have been pondering the idea of adding reflex sights to my range guns since optics seem to be the best option for me at the moment. I just haven’t made a commitment yet on spending the $ on them.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Looking through the lower portion of your glasses makes for different problems with your stance and progressives with their limited focus area add to it. I know, I wear progressives myself.
    The reading glasses suggestion is a good one, that my eye doctor recommended I try when I discussed my problem with him about seeing handgun sights. They seem to work, experimenting with the wife’s readers, but I didn’t find any with a large enough lens to satisfy my safety desires at our local Meijers and dropped the idea. Recently I have been pondering the idea of adding reflex sights to my range guns since optics seem to be the best option for me at the moment. I just haven’t made a commitment yet on spending the $ on them.
    Yep, looking thru the lower portion does result in an unnatural stance for me. I thought about the reading glasses as well, but have not yet tried them. Regarding the safety aspect, I use the "overglasses" safety glasses, and the comfort level of wearing two sets of glasses is not too bad. Alas, there's no perfect solution. This sure was a lot easier 30 years ago. Maybe a bionic eye ...

I am a Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post

Also top focal shooting glasses can be had.
    https://sspeyewear.com/collections/t...rice-ascending
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Thx so much, you guys!