Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Ammunition Purchases in California Will Soon Require a Background Check

All Ammunition Purchases in California Will Soon Require a Background Check Under Voter-Approved Law

Associated Press
    June 26th. 2019

California has among the most stringent gun laws in the country and on Monday a far-reaching new initiative to curb violence will require background checks for every ammunition purchase.

Gov. Gavin Newsom and other proponents said it will save lives but opponents are suing in hopes of eventually undoing a law they said will mostly harm millions of law-abiding gun owners.

Voters approved the checks in 2016 and set an effective date of July 1. Ammunition dealers are seeing a surge in sales as customers stock up before the requirement takes effect.

Buyers will pay a $1 processing fee each time they pick up bullets or shotgun shells.

Store clerks will run buyers' identification through that database and a second database of those who bought guns legally but are no longer allowed to own them because of certain criminal convictions or mental health commitments. Those who pass get their ammo on the spot.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Last I heard, this goes into effect next week, and CA still doesn't have the systems in place to handle any of it.
    Just like they did with their last round of "assault weapon registration". And if you couldn't get it done because they weren't letting you, too bad, you're still a felon.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Pretty soon California will require bar codes on new bornes.

I am a Forum User
    No more online sales, no crossing the border to buy ammo, No sales to non-residents, the check is supposed to take 1-3 minutes and if your not on the approved list no ammo. If you lawfully purchased a handgun in California since 1996 or a long gun since 2014 you should be on the list. They are already talking about watching border town gun shops for California plates to follow them back to California. Non-residents can bring as much into the state as they want and can give it away but can't sell it. If you go out of state to shoot and bring 1 bullet back your breaking the law. Reloading components are not currently covered.

All they've done is create a incentive for a black market on ammo.

I laughed when 1 of the articles I read quoted a LGS saying people are stocking up buying as much as a 1000 rounds at a time.

MGO Member
    Nvm, looks like they walked back.

There are roads leading out of NV that even CHiP can't find. Stupid laws are only hurting the people that adhere to them. The black marketers are salivating over this right now.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Seems perfect for Kalifomya, actually sort of fitting.

No sales tax on black-market ammo, gives the illegal immigrants a chance to make some non-reportable income.

Once the underground and black-market gets up to speed and rolling it should be a lot easier for the gangs and street thugs to get ammo as there will be more street vendors.

I can’t wait, hookers trading bullets for sex, street pushers trading bullets for dope.

We might be on the ground floor of a new California currency here. Probably hold it’s value better than the greenback.