Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

1891 Argentine Mauser

Have a Argentine Mauser 7.65x53. Serial is R1023. Overall it is a pretty nice rifle, all numbers match and scrubbed crest. I believe it to be manufactured between 1895 and 1899. Curious of approx value, shot around 10 rounds and not really my cup of tea.

0E8F2985-BE5D-4B74-BEF4-89A51BCFA61D.jpg
    3D8FBAAD-A66F-4C70-BC2C-025AE879EEAC.jpg
    EAEF0794-A9E3-4735-A986-E721AB46800C.jpg

I am a Forum User
    Your Argentine Model 1891 was manufactured before 1897. DWM took over production (actually a factory name change) in Berlin, during 1896. A close examination of the rear sight will determine whether the rifle was updated for spitzer bullets after 1909.

The crests were ground off in Argentina prior to export, an Argentine legal requirement at the time when these rifles were exported to the United States. Very few Model 1891 rifles were left to export after the Argentine law was changed and most of the rifles now found with crests were in poor/mismatched condition when they were exported.

Price will depend primarily upon bore condition. The Argentines only issued corrosive ammunition and many of these rifles have dark bores. Model 1891 rifles not updated for spitzer bullets are uncommon and also command a premium.

I am a Forum User
    Interesting, is there a link that shows what to look for on the rear sight? I’ll try to get some photos of the bore as well.

I am a Forum User
    The original Model 1891 ladder sights for RN bullets had shorter maximum ranges. An advanced collector told me that the early Model 1891 sights only went to 1,800 meters. He did not have such a rifle, but had handled one in Rosario while he was collecting information for a book he was writing. The later Model 1891/09 rifle sights are graduated to 2,000 meters. I have never seen a long rifle with the early ladder sight, but have seen a number of cavalry carbines with early rear sights. The Argentines apparently did not consider it a high priority to convert all the carbines.

I do have a Model 1891 cavalry carbine with a sight which only goes to 1,300 meters. The later Model 1891/09 carbine rear sight goes to 1,400 meters. Their rear sight bases are identical, but the ladder graduations are different. The chamber throat is also much longer on the early carbine than my Model 1891/09 carbine. The barrel of my Model 1891/09 carbine appears to have been set back and rechambered, but I have seen other Model 1891/09 carbines which were obviously rebarreled.

I am a Forum User
    Excellent. I will report my findings.

I am a Forum User
    Here is a shot of the rear sight, I’m assuming it’s been modified as it goes up to 2000 meters.
    Also a shot of the bore the best I could.

5A38BA20-62C7-45C3-8DF5-C86169B5404A.jpg
    B78C2B08-6F1A-42F3-8CB8-3CC903F2708E.jpg

I am a Forum User
    Yes, your rifle was upgraded to the Model 1891/09 standard. Bore looks OK, with maybe a bit of frosting. All told, a typical Argentine Model 1891/09. It is an antique, not a C&R. It was made before 1898. No FFL is necessary to ship or transfer it.

Offbeat note: Lowe was Jewish, as were his descendants. He and his family trust owned the controlling interests in Mauser and DWM which stayed in his family until the mid 1920's when DWM was broken up and reorganized as several firms. Lowe and his descendants were fairly astute businessmen and kept Germany's firearms sector alive after WW I when the rest of the country was falling apart. Eventually the disaster which was post war Germany caught up with them and they had to refinance and give up majority control. The Nazis seized his trust in the early 1930's and it was never returned. When Firma Lowe was not beset by the exigencies of war, they turned out the very best quality military rifles possible.

The value of your rifle is hard to estimate. People are asking crazy high dollars on GunBroker, but none are selling. The last Model 1891/09 rifle in comparable condition that sold - to my knowledge - went for $ 300 four years ago. There are a fair number of these rifles in this condition for sale, so it really isn't a rarity. Maybe ask $ 400 and see what counter offers you get. Or keep it and shoot it. They are a very capable rifle.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for all the info! Amazing some of the history behind these old rifles. I’ve watched a few videos of people shooting them, they seem to love them for long range. Maybe I’ll give it another go. My eyes do not seem to be capable for long range iron shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by deanooo311 View Post
    Thanks for all the info! Amazing some of the history behind these old rifles. I’ve watched a few videos of people shooting them, they seem to love them for long range. Maybe I’ll give it another go. My eyes do not seem to be capable for long range iron shooting.
    put something removeable on it like a peep sight that snaps into the blade rear sight.

Try just shooting 100-150 yards with a peep sight see if it gets more fun.

mojo, or williams make good affordable peeps that will not damage the collect-ability of the rifle.