Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Exclamation Measuring the Overall Length of a Pistol? ATF has Altered the Deal

https://www.recoilweb.com/measuring-the-overall-length-of-a-pistol-atf-has-altered-the-deal-151346.html?fbclid=IwAR2Jo9X91V1alRTaVgWox2shXvP10 CavGcmJnMEDjZ6vO14WbI2wigctiGk

"The letter states:

[Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch] FTISB has previously determined that “stabilizing braces” may be assembled on firearms as accessories… In contrast to stocks on rifles or shotguns…”stabilizing braces” are merely accessories and not relevant to the classification of a “pistol” under the statutory definition. That is, a folding stock on a rifle or shotgun is included in overall length measurements because the firearm must be “designed or redesigned….and intended to be fired from the shoulder” to be so classified. The stock is therefore an essential element in the statutory definition."

In the letter, ATF also specifies that:

[m]akers also create an artificial overall length measurement by attaching a folding stabilizing brace. Such a measurement would be problematic because the firearm could avoid classification as an “AOW,” yet retain the conceivability and remain fully functional. Measuring a folding (or telescoping) stabilizing brace would therefore undermine the comprehensive statutory and regulatory design of the GCA and NFA.…The measurement of a folding or collapsible stabilizing brace in the overall length of a firearm creates an artificial overall length that would permit a maker to avoid classification as an NFA “firearm” without a viable design purpose or legal justification.

I am a Forum User
    Seem to impact the greater than 26” with a vertical fore grip if a folding adaptor is used the most.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    https://www.recoilweb.com/measuring-the-overall-length-of-a-pistol-atf-has-altered-the-deal-151346.html?fbclid=IwAR2Jo9X91V1alRTaVgWox2shXvP10 CavGcmJnMEDjZ6vO14WbI2wigctiGk

"The letter states:

[Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch] FTISB has previously determined that “stabilizing braces” may be assembled on firearms as accessories… In contrast to stocks on rifles or shotguns…”stabilizing braces” are merely accessories and not relevant to the classification of a “pistol” under the statutory definition. That is, a folding stock on a rifle or shotgun is included in overall length measurements because the firearm must be “designed or redesigned….and intended to be fired from the shoulder” to be so classified. The stock is therefore an essential element in the statutory definition."

In the letter, ATF also specifies that:

[m]akers also create an artificial overall length measurement by attaching a folding stabilizing brace. Such a measurement would be problematic because the firearm could avoid classification as an “AOW,” yet retain the conceivability and remain fully functional. Measuring a folding (or telescoping) stabilizing brace would therefore undermine the comprehensive statutory and regulatory design of the GCA and NFA.…The measurement of a folding or collapsible stabilizing brace in the overall length of a firearm creates an artificial overall length that would permit a maker to avoid classification as an NFA “firearm” without a viable design purpose or legal justification.
    Can we get a legal beagle (lawyer) in here, please, to unravel this reeking pile of double-speak?
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Don't put a vertical fore grip on your brace equipped pistol.

MGO Member
    The angled fore grip is allowed on a pistol and to me is more comfortable with shorter setups.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    The angled fore grip is allowed on a pistol and to me is more comfortable with shorter setups.
    Until they decide they want to change their opinion on that. AFG is only allowed because they say so. For now.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kbdm View Post
    Don't put a vertical fore grip on your brace equipped pistol.
    If an AR pistol then measure length from end of buffer tube to end of barrel WITHOUT arm brace. If it has a folding adaptor then measure length in folded position.

Only use a vertical fore grip if over 26 inches and never conceal carry it if it has a vertical fore grip.
    Last edited by Michaelk; 07-07-2019 at 09:02 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Name:  4CWzJds.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  9.0 KB