Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

I recently received a Savage Model 99 in .250-3000 (aka .250 Savage). The overall condition is good mechanically, but the finish is just ok. Most of the bluing is more of an aged patina now. Sadly, early in its life an owner electro-penciled/engraved his initials on the stock along with 1936 (assuming the year it was acquired.) I know this was a thing a lot of guys did back in the day (my grandfather effectively ruined any value that was in a Belgian Browning Sweet 16 (with factory engraving by electro-pencil'ing his SSN on the middle of the receiver and barrel.)

My question is how badly this affects the value? I don't intend on keeping it, but I am weighing do I either spend upwards of $100 to replace the stock (which also may negatively affect the value) and just include the original stock in with it in the hopes of getting more out of it, or leave it as is and hope someone would appreciate the 'history' this rifle has embedded in it? Or do I try to steam/sand the initials out of it and then refinish it myself? In doing so does that ruin it?

MGO Member
    I would leave it as is. Honest rifles still carry a good value. It is not an immaculate collectors rifle.
    Why mess with the stock if the blueing isn't worth it. I don't think you could find a vintage buttstock that would match the forend.
    Was it altered to mount a scope? That kinda kills the value of an early 99 also.
    Leave well enough alone, and find someone who appreciates what it is.
    Last edited by john.41; 07-10-2019 at 01:19 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Thankfully no scope holes and it still has the original rear sight. I posted some questions on a Savage forum and had offers within minutes. Evidently even with the carving it still commands a decent amount.

MGO Member
    If you can get some good pictures, a "No Reserve" auction on Gun Broker will get you the highest price for it.

It's not a take-down is it?

I am a Forum User
    I was going to go the GB route but ended up getting a pretty generous offer on another forum and decided to let it go. It was not a takedown model BTW.