Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AR15 build

New AR15 build

Thinking about doing another AR Rifle build but wanted a shorter barrel not a AR Pistol. Would this upper be good for a upper receiver? I also need to know if I can use this upper for my rifle build. Due to length I’m not sure if it qualifies as a rifle upper or a pistol upper
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ed-welded.html

I am a Forum User
    It looks like it is a 14.5” barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider, which should mean it is legally just over 16”. One of the questions on that page says it is. So you should be gtg on a rifle build.

While personally not a PSA fan, the barrel is an FN, which are great barrels. The FN barreled uppers are the only uppers I would take a chance on with PSA.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BMT85 View Post
    It looks like it is a 14.5” barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider, which should mean it is legally just over 16”. One of the questions on that page says it is. So you should be gtg on a rifle build.

While personally not a PSA fan, the barrel is an FN, which are great barrels. The FN barreled uppers are the only uppers I would take a chance on with PSA.
    100%

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I would avoid trying to build this as a pistol.

Due to the barrel length, it will be over 26", so it would just be a "firearm" in MI - you can't treat it like a pistol.
    see this chart

EDIT - and i didnt even read your question right...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

No this a rifle build not a pistol build. I looked into building a AR Pistol but I decided to go with a rifle build instead.

I am a Forum User

I believe they switched to their own barrels relatively recently. The upper I purchased from them last year did not have an FN barrel. I think they're doing them in house now.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    I believe they switched to their own barrels relatively recently. The upper I purchased from them last year did not have an FN barrel. I think they're doing them in house now.
    Interesting. So are they getting the hammer forged blanks from FN, and finishing in house? I only ask because it mentions FN's steel.

Interesting. So are they getting the hammer forged blanks from FN, and finishing in house? I only ask because it mentions FN's steel.
    I thought they were getting complete FN barrels, they were not match grade, possible might even be the scratch and dent pile or slightly over or under sized or failed a QC test. I always heard for years, 3-4-5 years thats the one thing you can buy there from palmetto with confidence.

I am a Forum User
    DC Machine of Summerville, SC makes most of their barrels, lower receivers, upper receivers, barrel extensions, receiver extensions and a bunch of other PSA-branded stuff. They produce 1,800 barrels per day.

A lot of the the higher end stuff that carries their brand name is made by Lead Star Arms, also nearby in West Columbia, SC.

Ammoland Shooting Sport News did a tour of the DC Machine and Lead Star Arms facilities, as well as one of the Palmetto State Armory retail stores.
    It's worth the read if you want to know more (includes plenty of pics):

Part 1: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/amm...#axzz5u9JMmX00
    Part 2: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/amm...#axzz5u9JMmX00

Shameless plug: As an authorized PSA dealer, I can (of course) get you most of the PSA-branded product for less than what they sell for on their site. I say "most" because there are some products that are already priced at rock bottom that I pay the same price for, such as some of the "Freedom Week" pricing that's out there right now. When a rifle kit that is normally $659.99 is selling for $349.99, there's not any meat on the bone for us dealers. But there is still plenty of product that I can help you with. HMU via PM, call me, email me for MGO member pricing (PSA products are NOT listed on our online store). Just get me the SKU numbers from the PSA website.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I thought they were getting complete FN barrels, they were not match grade, possible might even be the scratch and dent pile or slightly over or under sized or failed a QC test. I always heard for years, 3-4-5 years thats the one thing you can buy there from palmetto with confidence.
    That's what I thought, well sort of. I thought they were getting seconds or blems, meaning cosmetic. Didn't hear they were getting the crap one's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast