Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Grandfan100 View Post
    Sure, long as nothing gets into the cylinder like lint, the timing doesn't get screwed up, the little piece that holds the cylinder in place doesn't break, and no one grabs onto the cylinder itself. Revolvers are like ex-girlfriends. We remember them being better than they actually are and they're gone for a reason.
    Automatics suffer a similar disability when their slides are pushed back, engaging their disconnectors. The locked breech automatics are infamous for failing to discharge when their muzzles are pressed into a target due to sear disconnection.

The real disadvantage of a revolver in a pocket is the breadth of the cylinder. It is hard to hide in fashionable skinny jeans and slows the draw as well.

Favorite pocket gun:

Beretta 950
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

In all honesty, when it comes to malfunctions in pistols that completely fubar a gun or where a simple action won’t reset it, revolvers have got me the most. I’ve had primers back out enough to contact the recoil shield and lock the cylinder, bullets unseat and lock the cylinder, cylinders spin like a top at random under a fast DA pull (not loaded), and have enough powder residue build up to jam the cylinder on the forcing cone (the last one not being fair, since it’s an issue with my 1851).

Aside from maybe one instance in my life, I can’t think of any malfunctions in a known to be well working automatic that a simple manipulation of controls couldn’t get the pistol back into operation.

I tried to pocket carry a LCR for a while, but the cylinder was just too wide to be comfortable. Even with the big boys, the arrangement of their parts make their overall footprint larger and more difficult to conceal compared to an auto in a similar role....with less than half the capacity and three times the DA pull. (Think 66-1 vs G32)

The only revolver I have left that I consider for a carry role is a Toklat. And that’s simply for the sake of sheer power in areas where it might be needed over a 10mm.

I am a Forum User
    Beretta Tomcat in .32 caliber, fits nice in my conceal carry vest on the bike. Sometimes in a small zipper pouch on my belt for other attire.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Automatics suffer a similar disability when their slides are pushed back, engaging their disconnectors. The locked breech automatics are infamous for failing to discharge when their muzzles are pressed into a target due to sear disconnection.

The real disadvantage of a revolver in a pocket is the breadth of the cylinder. It is hard to hide in fashionable skinny jeans and slows the draw as well.
    True, but an automatic can be forced into battery with a hand or held there by a thumb. You'll have to tap&rack afterwards, but at least you'll get one off.

All I do is pocket carry, but use a few. In order of what is carried most.
    Kel-tec P3AT 380 with CT laser in a garbage pocket holster. Small, light, No safety, laser, and always goes bang. PDX1 or DPX ammo.
    S&W Shield 45 with laser in a trash holster not even made for pocket carry. This is small, but very heavy. With a big pocket it works. Gold Dot 200 HP ammo.
    Bursa Thunder 380 Stainless with CT Laser and no holster at all. Small, 8 rounds, light, probably should get a holster for it some day
    - Joe
    Last edited by joelansing; 07-19-2019 at 10:55 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Carried a Sig p938 in pocket for a long time, a bit heavy but it was worth it to me knowing I had a solid 9mm pocket gun. That being said, awhile back I forced myself to try appendix and it’s going well with the shield 45, time will tell.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Grandfan100 View Post
    Sure, long as nothing gets into the cylinder like lint, the timing doesn't get screwed up, the little piece that holds the cylinder in place doesn't break, and no one grabs onto the cylinder itself. Revolvers are like ex-girlfriends. We remember them being better than they actually are and they're gone for a reason.
    I first started shooting revolvers in about 1985, and none of those malfunctions have EVER happened to any revolver I have owned or shot. On the other hand Every one of the semi auto pistols I have owned has had a malfunction..or three, including a Glock 19, 26, 36, 43. There were at least a dozen others that failed my pocket carry criteria, then I went back to j frames and am completely happy with the AirLite 340PD. Lint problems? I just don't have them...or ever seen a malfunction from lint.
    Last edited by michpatriot; 07-21-2019 at 09:17 AM.

I’ve seen lint collect on my Seacamp after a month or so of riding in my front pocket. I simply give it a quick blast from a can of compressed air and drop it back in place. A bit of very minor cleaning and going light on any lube on occasion will negate the problem for 99.9% of people that carry this way.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    I’ve seen lint collect on my Seacamp after a month or so of riding in my front pocket. I simply give it a quick blast from a can of compressed air and drop it back in place. A bit of very minor cleaning and going light on any lube on occasion will negate the problem for 99.9% of people that carry this way.
    Pocket lint can be a real problem for any pocket carry gun. I saw a State Trooper try to unload and make safe a pocket carried S&W Bodyguard .380 during an arrest once. The guy who carried it never did any type of inspection on the thing. The magwell was stuffed with lint. He had to work to physically rip the mag out, and when it finally came loose, all the ammo fell out of the mag because the mag spring was broke. Not sure if the striker would have worked either. The owner was a CPL holder and completely legal, but his passenger had an arrest warrant. The trooper gave him a serious talk about how if he's going to carry, he better take better care of his gear.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast