Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Started off with a NAA Guardian, but the trigger sucked so I dumped it. Bought a Ruger LCP, liked it. Upgraded to an LCP Custom, because "Hey look! Sights!", have settled in now with an LCP II. Much better trigger and still has better sights that the OG LCP. If I'm out of the house, that LCP II is in my pocket. I almost always have another gun too, but I love the ability to stand around with my hands in my pockets looking casual but can surreptitiously have a grip on that little guy.

Banned
    45 Automag with a barrel cut down to 1.78 in.

Quote Originally Posted by michpatriot View Post
    I pocket carry a 340PD, carries easy and ALWAYS gives me five trys, never needs a tap or rack, dud primer, just pull again, no problem with muzzle contact shots, no slide for someone to grab and cause a jam that would need another hand to clear..no malfunctions shooting from a jacket pocket..and the ability to fire 180gr hardcast bullets at 1200 fps...and nothing clears a pocket faster than a centennial.
    How do you get by the recoil? I had a 340PD, 5 rds of .357 125g Speer GD left my hand aching, if I practiced it was .357 SWC reloaded bunny fart loads, so I sold it. I still have 2 snubby's, LCR & 442 in 38sp, and do carry them on occasion, wife carry's 442 in her purse most of the time. I love the reliability of a revolver - you nailed that part. Me if I carry a snubby, it's in winter coat pocket as bulky coats make IWB hard or front pocket hard to get too. Weight is not an issue in that case.

For me weight is the big factor in pocket carry, too heavy just pulls the pants down on one side. IWB has so much more forgiveness. That means it's my LCP or Tomcat when I put it in my pocket. The 340PD fixes that part, but was just too light for the big load of .357 - at least to me. I know in a self defense case, recoil is a moot point, but I feel you have to practice so it's an issue if it keeps you from practicing.
    Last edited by Mkc451; 07-12-2019 at 10:42 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Here's why I have the M&P340...I used to have the 642. I liked it but it was also my UP hiking gun and .38Spl isn't that comforting in black bear country. So I bought the 340, figuring I would carry 38 around town and save the 357s for hiking. I figured that if (big if) I was ever confronted by a bear, I wouldn't notice the recoil. Don't ya know it, right after I bought it, BB came out with a .38 Outdoorsman +P which sends a 158gr HC out at between 950-1000fps. I still think it's an improvement over the 642 because of the increased strength of the frame when using non SAAMI small manufacturer loads. I've read on another site that has a lot of western/Alaskan outdoorsmen on it that 950-1000fps is all you really need from a HC load. I also carry bear spray, which I would use first...not that I think it would ever happen.

340PD

Quote Originally Posted by Mkc451 View Post
    How do you get by the recoil?
    Crimson Trace LG-405 grip. The backstrap tames the recoil down immensely.

Name:  340PD Right.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  98.6 KB
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Here's why I have the M&P340...I used to have the 642. I liked it but it was also my UP hiking gun and .38Spl isn't that comforting in black bear country. So I bought the 340, figuring I would carry 38 around town and save the 357s for hiking. I figured that if (big if) I was ever confronted by a bear, I wouldn't notice the recoil. Don't ya know it, right after I bought it, BB came out with a .38 Outdoorsman +P which sends a 158gr HC out at between 950-1000fps. I still think it's an improvement over the 642 because of the increased strength of the frame when using non SAAMI small manufacturer loads. I've read on another site that has a lot of western/Alaskan outdoorsmen on it that 950-1000fps is all you really need from a HC load. I also carry bear spray, which I would use first...not that I think it would ever happen.
    I get the bear protection -- and I agree, you won't feel the recoil if needed to shoot in a L-or-D situation. The times I've hiked in UP w/scouts - I carried my 686 4" 357 loaded with:

Pugnose - Hi-Tek
    #HT-358180WFN
    .358 Diameter
    .357 Magnum
    180 Grain WFN Flat-Base
    Brinell 18
    For Maximum Energy
    Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating

Over 13gr of H110 ... hits about 1200fps - kicks like a mule, even in the 686. Can't imagine those in a snubby That is pretty equivalent with the BB hardcast commercial ammo. I've used this as backup on a couple of hog-hunts in Tennessee also.
    Last edited by Mkc451; 07-12-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post
    S&W 340PD.
    11.8 oz. of .357 Magnum sweetness.
    My feelings exactly!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

I am a Forum User
    There is no getting by the recoil of a 180gr BB outdoorsman, I shot a few to familiarize the point of impact and practice with hand loads. Before extended shooting I place one bandaid at the base of my thumb so I don't get the skin plowed into a trench.. This revolver ain't for everyone, but with practice and a little pain it gives unmatched pocket carry power. Oh and that BB 38 outdoorsman ain't no slouch either I've shot it about of the 340 and would carry it with confidence if I couldn't lay hands on its big brother.
    Last edited by michpatriot; 07-12-2019 at 06:13 PM.

MGO Member
    Glock 42- shoots great. My usual EDC during the work week.

Runner up- G43, a bit heavy for dress pants.

My trusty LCP
    Active airport shooter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast