Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Ok, last weekend I went out and made a conscious effort to not anticipate. I mostly focused on making hits and didn't worry about speed too much but occasionally would speed up my cadence. It went well, but I still found myself pushing forward/jerking/anticipating while staging the trigger very slowly. Good lord, the G17 doesn't even recoil badly, but ever since I've had this pistol I've fought with this on and off. Before the G17 I mostly shot my Glock 21 and had none of this reoccurring flinch.

I'm heading out tomorrow and leaving the rifles home and focusing just on the Glock. I've been dry firing every night this weekend and the sights are rock steady when the trigger breaks after a little warmup. Still haven't got back on the exercise wagon yet. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure more questions will follow.

I think I just need to shoot with someone that's holding a ruler to wrap my knuckles when I anticipate.

Thank you to everyone that's offered input so far!

Shoot a brick of 22's every week for six months and you will improve immensely, it worked for me. Then pick up the 9mm. Always work on the fundamentals (trigger control!) and do not just throw lead down range. Practice where you are weak. Draws, reloads, strong hand, weak hand, shoot on the move, etc. Practice at 17 yards (50 feet) if you want to be accurate at at 7-10 yards. It takes many rounds to get good. Endless practice is necessary to get good at any skill.
    MGO Life Member, NRA Life Patron Member, CCRC Life Member, GOA Life Member

MGO Member
    when you are doing your dry fire practice, have someone set an empty case on your front sight. this will make you focus on your trigger press. if the case falls off because you have anticipated, you fail. it it stays balanced on the front sight, you pass that rep.

im a long time IDPA shooter and recently took YSTING from MDFI. its a great class that makes you focus on the fundamentals.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MJssr View Post
    when you are doing your dry fire practice, have someone set an empty case on your front sight. this will make you focus on your trigger press. if the case falls off because you have anticipated, you fail. it it stays balanced on the front sight, you pass that rep.

im a long time IDPA shooter and recently took YSTING from MDFI. its a great class that makes you focus on the fundamentals.
    Yes sir, I'll give that a spin. I've used a penny many times since it's something I can easily put on the sight myself.

Last two range outings have been fairly successful. I managed to put 4 out of 5 shots in a 2" by 2" at 12yds. I couldn't do that consistently, mind you, but I felt more confident knowing I can still do it.

My anticipation problem is getting better. I'm trudging forward!

I am a Forum User

I am a Forum User
    When I started with handguns my first was a Glock 40 cal. I developed all the problems like flinch from the blast. How I finally got over it was with some drills with a revolver. I have a range at my home so I could shoot every day so I started every day with 20 rounds of 38 special. The revolver is a S&W 686 and holds 7 rounds. I would load 4 rounds in it skipping every other one but there was one 2 in a row with rounds in it. I would spin the cylinder BEFORE I CLOSED IT so I would not know when it would fire. Boy oh boy was I pushing the gun down. When it was on a empty cylinder I could see the gun move. I did this for over a month (Thank God I cast and reload) and it really helped me! I learned this trick i a book I read, sorry do not remember the title. if you do not have access to a revolver and can not afford to buy one get some snap caps (Fake rounds) and have a friend load your mag at the range so you do not know when it gun is not going to fire. Good Luck!

I am a Forum User
    First, I hope you know enough to ignore that stupid wheel in the first post. I wish people would just stop with it. If you have to have a wheel, use this one:

Next, as you seem to have diagnosed, you have a helluva flinch. Dryfire practice is good and all, assuming you are actually practicing good form, not ingraining bad habits. But the only way to fight a flinch is live fire.

You need to overcome your body’s natural reaction to having a small explosion happen three feet from your face. First, if possible, get to an outdoor range, preferably without a roof/enclosure. If you can’t, make sure you double up ear pro.

Next, work on getting used to the noise and concussion. “Waste” some ammo. I use quotes because just mag dumping actually serves a purpose here-getting you used to the gun firing. Now, you have to be able to control the pistol as you do this. You’re not worried about results on paper, but you do need to be sure you’re not spraying rounds everywhere (over berms, into ceilings).

Now the hard part. Loosen up. Don’t work on some super operator stance you saw on YouTube. Stand with a casual, slightly athletic stance, draw your pistol, press out and align with your eye. Don’t tuck your head or roll your shoulders. Relax a bit. Let your elbows bend slightly. Stop and pay attention to your shoulders. Are they tensed? If so, consciously relax them. Same with your grip. Are you white knuckled, death gripping? Ease up. While you’re at it, try to focus on gripping by just exerting pressure on the from and rear. Grip like a C-clamp, not a strap wrench.

Now work in trigger press. This is where dryfire, with a coin or spent case balanced on the front sight, comes in. The placement of the finger doesn’t necessarily matter. What’s important is that it’s natural and repeatable. Remember the C-clamp grip, it’ll help with straight back press. Now people will say the shot should be a surprise. I disagree with that statement, even though I know what they’re trying to say. You should never be surprised that a shot fired. That’s negligent. But what they mean is, don’t get the trigger prepped to the wall, pause and jam it home. Instead, smoothly increase pressure until the pistol fires.

It’s worth noting that once you get your fundamentals down, you’re actually going to reintroduce things I’ve told you not to do. But you need to get your basics down first.

Now, there may be other problems happening. You may be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. You’re so worried about messing up a perfect shot that you mess it up. Your sight image is gonna waver a little naturally. Even more-so the more you try to fight against it. Then what can happen is you see the perfect sight alignment and sight image and you’re gonna get that perfect bullseye shot, but you have to act fast before the window closes so you smash the trigger and...throw the shot, of course. So don’t worry about getting the perfect shot. Additionally, you might be trying to see where your shot lands and trying to look over your pistol before you’ve actually completed the shot. I liken these two to golf. You’re at the tee box and get all set. Everything feels good and the wind dies down, so you decide to rush the shot and try to blast it. But instead of a nice even swing, you power across your body and slice the crap out of it. Or, you’re so sure you’re gonna hit an awesome shot, you pick your head up to watch it, making you stand up and top the ball, which goes dribbling to the ladies tee. So try not to look at your target until you’ve fired a string of like 5. Keep focused on the front sight, not the target.

If you haven’t already, find a reputable instructor and get some training. Then take what you’ve learned and practice proper technique. Relax, get used to the recoil, realize the gun isn’t gonna fly out of your hands. Double up ear pro, try to avoid shooting indoors. C-clamp grip, natural, repeatable positioning to facilitate a straight rearward trigger pull. Don’t grasp at the perfect shot and don’t look for where each shot landed. Shoot strings and check after.

Best of luck!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Ha, how ironic! I just watched that video at least twice in the last week or so. Lots of good information there.

Thanks for sharing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnDweller View Post
    When I started with handguns my first was a Glock 40 cal. I developed all the problems like flinch from the blast. How I finally got over it was with some drills with a revolver. I have a range at my home so I could shoot every day so I started every day with 20 rounds of 38 special. The revolver is a S&W 686 and holds 7 rounds. I would load 4 rounds in it skipping every other one but there was one 2 in a row with rounds in it. I would spin the cylinder BEFORE I CLOSED IT so I would not know when it would fire. Boy oh boy was I pushing the gun down. When it was on a empty cylinder I could see the gun move. I did this for over a month (Thank God I cast and reload) and it really helped me! I learned this trick i a book I read, sorry do not remember the title. if you do not have access to a revolver and can not afford to buy one get some snap caps (Fake rounds) and have a friend load your mag at the range so you do not know when it gun is not going to fire. Good Luck!
    As luck would have it, I have a 6 shot 686.

I'm almost positive anticipation is my issue. I've got the diagnosis, now I need to find the fix.
    Last edited by shookme; 08-12-2019 at 09:59 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyChryst View Post
    First, I hope you know enough to ignore that stupid wheel in the first post. I wish people would just stop with it. If you have to have a wheel, use this one:

Next, as you seem to have diagnosed, you have a helluva flinch. Dryfire practice is good and all, assuming you are actually practicing good form, not ingraining bad habits. But the only way to fight a flinch is live fire.

You need to overcome your body’s natural reaction to having a small explosion happen three feet from your face. First, if possible, get to an outdoor range, preferably without a roof/enclosure. If you can’t, make sure you double up ear pro.

Next, work on getting used to the noise and concussion. “Waste” some ammo. I use quotes because just mag dumping actually serves a purpose here-getting you used to the gun firing. Now, you have to be able to control the pistol as you do this. You’re not worried about results on paper, but you do need to be sure you’re not spraying rounds everywhere (over berms, into ceilings).

Now the hard part. Loosen up. Don’t work on some super operator stance you saw on YouTube. Stand with a casual, slightly athletic stance, draw your pistol, press out and align with your eye. Don’t tuck your head or roll your shoulders. Relax a bit. Let your elbows bend slightly. Stop and pay attention to your shoulders. Are they tensed? If so, consciously relax them. Same with your grip. Are you white knuckled, death gripping? Ease up. While you’re at it, try to focus on gripping by just exerting pressure on the from and rear. Grip like a C-clamp, not a strap wrench.

Now work in trigger press. This is where dryfire, with a coin or spent case balanced on the front sight, comes in. The placement of the finger doesn’t necessarily matter. What’s important is that it’s natural and repeatable. Remember the C-clamp grip, it’ll help with straight back press. Now people will say the shot should be a surprise. I disagree with that statement, even though I know what they’re trying to say. You should never be surprised that a shot fired. That’s negligent. But what they mean is, don’t get the trigger prepped to the wall, pause and jam it home. Instead, smoothly increase pressure until the pistol fires.

It’s worth noting that once you get your fundamentals down, you’re actually going to reintroduce things I’ve told you not to do. But you need to get your basics down first.

Now, there may be other problems happening. You may be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. You’re so worried about messing up a perfect shot that you mess it up. Your sight image is gonna waver a little naturally. Even more-so the more you try to fight against it. Then what can happen is you see the perfect sight alignment and sight image and you’re gonna get that perfect bullseye shot, but you have to act fast before the window closes so you smash the trigger and...throw the shot, of course. So don’t worry about getting the perfect shot. Additionally, you might be trying to see where your shot lands and trying to look over your pistol before you’ve actually completed the shot. I liken these two to golf. You’re at the tee box and get all set. Everything feels good and the wind dies down, so you decide to rush the shot and try to blast it. But instead of a nice even swing, you power across your body and slice the crap out of it. Or, you’re so sure you’re gonna hit an awesome shot, you pick your head up to watch it, making you stand up and top the ball, which goes dribbling to the ladies tee. So try not to look at your target until you’ve fired a string of like 5. Keep focused on the front sight, not the target.

If you haven’t already, find a reputable instructor and get some training. Then take what you’ve learned and practice proper technique. Relax, get used to the recoil, realize the gun isn’t gonna fly out of your hands. Double up ear pro, try to avoid shooting indoors. C-clamp grip, natural, repeatable positioning to facilitate a straight rearward trigger pull. Don’t grasp at the perfect shot and don’t look for where each shot landed. Shoot strings and check after.

Best of luck!
    Thank you. Interesting thoughts. I think you're on to something. Even when I'm shooting a soft recoiling AR or AK, I find myself anticipating, only while I'm standing (usually notice with the AK when pulling the trigger on an empty chamber). While shooting a rifle prone or off the bench, no issues noted. Seems like a try to muscle the rifles and pistols too much.

That chart is great too, by the way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast