Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Need Help Transfering Gun Ownership

Can anyone out there tell me how transfer a hand gun into my name from a deceased person ? ( inherited ) I will have my CPL by the time the time this will happen. I know about the RI-060 form, but does it apply ?

MGO Member
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Ok, It sounds like I need to fill out the RI-060 with the pistol info, Me as purchaser & have the next of kin sign it as personal representative. Then take 2 copies to the sheriff's office. Is that right?

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimmer5 View Post
    Ok, It sounds like I need to fill out the RI-060 with the pistol info, Me as purchaser & have the next of kin sign it as personal representative. Then take 2 copies to the sheriff's office. Is that right?
    That sounds about right, but an RI060 only has 3 forms now - one for the buyer, one for the seller, and one for the registry.
    local agencies aren't supposed to be keeping their own copies anymore. Let us know if they do
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimmer5 View Post
    Mail it.

MGO Member
    The agency copy can just be mailed to the sheriff's office if you want to. You don't have to deliver it in person.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

MGO Member
    Yes, as others have stated you have the head of the estate sign as the seller (I would have a line saying representative of: ____).

Then they keep one for the estate, you keep one and then you give one to your local police (you can mail it).

If you need more assistance you may send us a PM as we're a gun dealer and help with this all of the time.
    Patriot Wholesale Direct LLC - FFL Dealer
    40 Engelwood Dr Ste A Lake Orion, MI (M-F 10am-5pm) - PWDGuns.com - ( 248 ) 481-7083
    $20 FFL Transfer - Guns@PatriotWholesaleDirect.com - Contact us for a quote on a new gun!
    Glock Stocking Dealer & Glock Blue Label Dealer • $20 Transfer Fee