Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar

Long Range Precision Rifle Class from the Fortis Group

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending the Fortis Group's Long Range Precision Rifle Class. What a great experience.

There were twelve students in our group. The requirements for our class included a minimum of a 10X scope and preferably 20x with a rifle capable of accurate fire out to at least 1,000 yards. Eight people were shooting 6.5 Creedmoor, one 6.5 Grendel, one .300 Win Mag, one .308 and I decided to try out my new .224 Valkyrie. All but one of the rifles was equipped with a suppressor.

We met at the range at 8:30am and got started at 9am after a safety briefing. all shooting was done from the prone position. We started out discussing form, breathing control, site picture, how to achieve a good cheek weld, etc. We then started at 100 yards to confirm the rifles were all sighted in. Many of us got a nasty surprise, having thought our rifles were all dialed in but they weren't.

After we were all good to go, we moved out to 200 yards. This was where the wheels started to fall off for a lot of people because the mistakes people had been making but were not obvious were becoming more apparent. By 300 yards, some people couldn't keep it on the target at all and realized that you really have to think about each shot. By the time I was done at 300 I was shooting sub-MOA 2" groups.

Next up was 400 yards and we switched to steel plates and the use of spotting scopes. First we engaged an 18" plate then we moved on to 6" plates. At this point a nasty 20mph wind started blowing left to right. The little 75gr. bullet I was shooting started to suffer badly. It was fantastic before the wind kicked up but I had a helluva time compensating for that wind. We then moved out to 500, 600 and finally 700 yards.

After everyone was able to get on target the instructors taught us how to estimate distances using the mil-dot or MOA marks in the scopes. We then started on targets of known size but unknown distance and had to judge the range using our reticles and a calculator.

Before this class the farthest I had ever tried to shoot was 200 yards from a bench rest and almost never had shot from prone. By the end of the day I was able to hit an 18" steel plate at 700 yards 8/10 times.

Great class i HIGHLY recommend. The instructors were both former SWAT officers, one from Wayne County (who trained under Carlos Hathcock) and one from Oakland County. Both were fantastic and patient. I had brought a friend who was shooting one of my rifles and was completely unfamiliar with it but they patiently got him up to speed and by the end of the day he could reliably ring steel at 500 yards.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Member
    That sounds like a great time. Where is it and can you come out to watch and learn?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatskater View Post
    That sounds like a great time. Where is it and can you come out to watch and learn?
    I arranged my class through Peacemakers in Howell. I think they only offer it once or twice a year.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Member
    Where did they hold the class at???