Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a Forum User
    It's far from free I had to pay the state and for a class to obtain the CPL , as a "benefit" for me it is not required for a NICS to be ran at the point of purchase for a firearm. You choose to take that benefit away, I choose to take my money elsewhere. It's fairly simple...

Quote Originally Posted by RCT View Post
    From what was stated something is not happening correctly. The ATF and FBI guys and gals were a bit cagey on this topic as I mentioned.

However, something is up based on the discussion.
    Then that is where the mistrust should be placed.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Also, the lovely State of Michigan, when processing background checks for CPL evaluations, has not been searching all the databases that FBI NICS checks. As such, there has been an issue with people being issued a CPL that are being denied firearms as they fail the NICS check (Not due to any error). So we have disqualified people with handguns and a CPL.
    The BATFE and the FBI is working with the State on this, but if it is not resolved, they are going to pull the waivers that allow a MI CPL to be used instead of a background check. I forgot to ask them, but I assume if the waiver is pulled it could also affect reciprocity with other states (please correct me if I am wrong about loss of reciprocity).

The BATFE at first didn't want to talk about this, but several dealers brought it up as they had experienced the NICS denials of CPL holders and forced the issue.

In fact, based on that I am considering a new policy of NICS checks for all at the shop (most big box stores already do this anyway).

I am simply reporting what occurred at that training.

Cheers,
    So a phone call for NICS check on a purchase, that only lasts a few minutes, is more comprehensive than a background check for CPL? Why don't they use the same phone #'s?

Banned Forum User
    I don't think you need a notification for this. But States may have different laws.
    And if you are transporting your other stuff, it's good to find a reliable transport company that will help you with this. We live in London and use their services (www.removalslondon.co.uk). And so, we needed help packing up for our move from home to apartment. Also, the movers brought boxes and other necessary materials for moving, which was very convenient for us. To be honest, we couldn't find a place to take such boxes. Moreover, we didn't have time to sell some furniture before we moved, and it didn't fit in the new apartment. So we had to use their office for storage, because we didn't want to throw out this furniture. It was better to sell it at yardsale or give it to a poor family.
    Last edited by AlBrown252; 02-20-2020 at 03:22 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Not required is true. However, as you likely know, FFL holders are able to make decisions that make sense for their business and it is, of course, perfectly fine for them to do a NICS check on a CPL holder.

I would argue that every firearms dealer should run the check anyway. There is a lot at stake now. However, I can see how difficult/uncomfortable it would be if one of your best CPL holding customers got a denial. But, that person was denied (assuming not due to an error in the FBI searched databases) and If what the ATF stated is true that MI has issued CPLs to prohibited persons, do you want to be the one arming them. Maybe they know they should be denied and were shocked that they got approved for a CPL and make it a point to make sure where they shop uses CPL instead of NICS. You guys are smart (likely smarter than me) and can see where I am going with this...

I understand all the pro 2nd arguments and etc that go with this area but the regs are regs for now.

Remo, I'm curious, why does it upset you if a dealer performs a NICS check on you as a CPL holder?

When I lived in Nevada, we had to pay $25 for the background check. CPL holders were exempt like here and in that case it put $25 back in your pocket. Totally worth it. Here its free.

Well, sadly the ATF made it official today. FFL holders can no longer use a CPL in lieu of a NICS background check:

Link to the announcement:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/op...03-20/download

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBrown252 View Post
    I don't think you need a notification for this. But States may have different laws.
    And if you are transporting your other stuff, it's good to find a reliable transport company that will help you with this. We live in London and use their services (www.removalslondon.co.uk). And so, we needed help packing up for our move from home to apartment. Also, the movers brought boxes and other necessary materials for moving, which was very convenient for us. To be honest, we couldn't find a place to take such boxes. Moreover, we didn't have time to sell some furniture before we moved, and it didn't fit in the new apartment. So we had to use their office for storage, because we didn't want to throw out this furniture. It was better to sell it at yardsale or give it to a poor family.
    You live in London UK,, and Canada... what the hell are you doing adding 2 cents in a forum for Michigan? Much less NFA, which you're not allowed to have in either country you list.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Reading this thread again because I have some NFA paperwork to do soon...

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    I can actually believe this, and it's why I haven't invested too much money in braces, and have gone ahead and registered a couple SBRs. Most free rides eventually end.
    So, me, how is this quote holding up?
    Well, other me, I want to say it all held up well, and I want to be smug about the pistol braces being in the spotlight right now... but I now have a couple pistols, and a box full of different braces I'm probably gonna have to do something with.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123