Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Removing a Barrel Nut on PSA AR9

I have a PSA AR9 and I want to change the handguard. I tried to remove the barrel nut (PSA propriety type) and it won’t budge. I read to try heat, try freezing, but never had to do that on any other ARs. Does anyone have any experience / suggestions? Or in the worst case, know a shop that would remove it?

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Sounds like PSA neglected to grease the barrel nut. A BEV block, proper barrel wrench and brute force would be my only suggestion. Contact PSA and see if you can send it back to them to have it removed...they may even do it for free.

I was able to take the one off mine without issue. It was on there tight though. I had it clamped in my vise and I used a 2 or 3 foot bar with the wrench.
    Last edited by thedonn007; 07-21-2019 at 06:57 AM.

MGO Member
    Before I torque that much, I have to get a clam style upper receivers block. Looks like a trip to Cabela’s is in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mitommy View Post
    Before I torque that much, I have to get a clam style upper receivers block. Looks like a trip to Cabela’s is in the future.
    That would not have worked on the PSA AR9 upper that I have. I know it is not recommended but I used wood blocks on the top pic rail, and on the oppopsite side between the lugs that attach the upper to the lower.

Quote Originally Posted by mitommy View Post
    Get a Geissele reaction rod instead.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G550 View Post
    You have a chance to loosen the barrel extension with those

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by G550 View Post
    Careful with a reaction rod when torquing the barrel nut because the indexing pin on the barrel is stressing against the slot in the receiver. A Magpul BEV block is very similar but it you can pin the receiver to the block to prevent the receiver from moving. Under normal torque specs it should be fine using a reaction rod but if PSA torqued that thing on way too tight then it could risk damaging the receiver or sheer off the indexing pin on your barrel.

https://www.magpul.com/products/bev-block-ar15-m4

Daniel Defense factory tour video.......
    Go to the 7:55 mark (installing a barrel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_vFcUc_tbo

The 9mm blowback barrels don't have any locking lugs for the reaction rod or Bev block to lock into. Sounds like they used loctite so I'd heat the nut up all the way around with a heat gun until it's too hot to hold and use a clamshell and a good non-gi style wrench.

I am a Forum User
    I had this issue with the PSA AR9. It didn't care about heating or freezing it wasn't coming off. I didn't care about the nut as I was replacing it anyway to change style of hand guard so I used a big pipe wrench and a hammer. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast