Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

6.5 swedish vs 6.5 creedence

I have a 93 mauser that shoots like craap. Should I rebarrel to 6.5 sweed or 6.5 creed??

I am a Forum User
    6.5x55mm Swedish has a 'rim' which is 0.010 inch thicker than the 7x57mm your Model 1893 Mauser was designed around. The 6.5mm Creedmoor has a 'rim' which is 0.010 inch thinner than the 7x57mm. The thicker 'rim' of the 6.5x55mm cartridge will probably require relief of the extractor on your rifle to achieve reliable feeding and this is a tricky operation. This is a critical dimension for controlled feed actions. The thinner 'rim' of the 6.5mm Creedmoor can allow the fired cartridge case to drop into the magazine when the last round is fired, frustrating ejection. This can be fixed by building up the follower, another tricky operation but easier than the alternative: closing up the extractor.

.257 Roberts is almost identical to the 7x57mm cartridge and has been the overwhelming choice for Model 1893 cartridge conversions. Mauser actually chambered this rifle in 6.5x57mm, which is the Bob necked up (easy) or 7x57mm necked down (some trimming required). You can also make 6.5mm Creedmoor brass for your rifle from .257 Roberts or 7x57mm brass if you choose the Creedmoor cartridge.

Wouldn't select the 6.5x55mm Swedish for your rifle. Would make 6.5mm Creedmoor from .257 Roberts or 7x57mm brass if you go that way. The Creedmoor cartridge has pressure limits 27% higher than 7x57mm, so you should probably go easy on Creedmoor loading. The Model 1893's made in Germany have a good reputation for strength and durability, but the ones made in Spain are the subject of some debate.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    6.5x55mm Swedish has a 'rim' which is 0.010 inch thicker than the 7x57mm your Model 1893 Mauser was designed around. The 6.5mm Creedmoor has a 'rim' which is 0.010 inch thinner than the 7x57mm. The thicker 'rim' of the 6.5x55mm cartridge will probably require relief of the extractor on your rifle to achieve reliable feeding and this is a tricky operation. This is a critical dimension for controlled feed actions. The thinner 'rim' of the 6.5mm Creedmoor can allow the fired cartridge case to drop into the magazine when the last round is fired, frustrating ejection. This can be fixed by building up the follower, another tricky operation but easier than the alternative: closing up the extractor.

..[/URL]

Not true in my experience I showed here.
    https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ss#Post5933722

I have built a Swede on a Mark X action designed for the 30-06 which has the same bolt head diameter as your 7x57, and it feeds and extracts perfectly with no alterations.
    Due to the lower strength of the 93 action over newer versions I would try to stay with a cartridge that runs at similar pressure or less then the 7x57. The old Swede, Cancarno (sp?) 8mm x57 etc. Then too it might just be time to retire the old gun and buy a replacement in the cartridge you want. A re barrel job, done right will set you back ~$500 anyway which will get a nice used modern rifle.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Not true in my experience I showed here.
    https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ss#Post5933722

I have built a Swede on a Mark X action designed for the 30-06 which has the same bolt head diameter as your 7x57, and it feeds and extracts perfectly with no alterations.
    Due to the lower strength of the 93 action over newer versions I would try to stay with a cartridge that runs at similar pressure or less then the 7x57. The old Swede, Cancarno (sp?) 8mm x57 etc. Then too it might just be time to retire the old gun and buy a replacement in the cartridge you want. A re barrel job, done right will set you back ~$500 anyway which will get a nice used modern rifle.
    Was not referring to case head diameter, but the thickness of the extraction flange on the case which is sort of a 'rim'.

The 6.5x55mm extraction flange is specified as 1.5mm, + 0, - 0.25mm

The 7x57mm extraction flange is specified as 1.25mm, + 0, - 0.25mm

The 6.5mm Creedmoor extraction flange is specified as 1.0mm, + 0, - 0.25mm

In the Mauser controlled feed system, the thickness of the case extraction flange is critical. If it is too thick, the round will bind as it rises into the extractor on chambering from the magazine. If it is too thin, spent cartridge cases will 'drop' out of extractor control over the empty magazine before they get back to the ejector. The Model 1898 Mauser action has an anti bind rib on the bolt which the Model 1893 lacks. This better centers the bolt during reciprocation and reduces the action's sensitivity to case extraction flange thickness.

A lot of gunsmiths butcher Mauser extractors trying to get these rifles to feed cartridges with different extraction flange thicknesses.
    Last edited by 10x25mm; 07-26-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Mention anti bind on the Model 1898.