Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Noobs first AR: PSA or S&W AR-15?

Hey guys. I'm saving for my first AR and after quite a few months of researching I settled on the S&W M&P 15 Sport II. Everything I've read and reviews I've watched claim its a really good beginners rifle with minimal, if any, issues.

Then a few days ago a buddy of mine sent me a link to the PSA AR-15. They had a sale going one where you could get the complete rifle for $280. When I was doing my research a few months ago, I came across a rifle that had some really bad reviews. I couldn't remember what manufacture made it, but when my buddy sent me the link to the PSA, I thought that sounded familiar and figured it was the bad one. But I was curious so I looked into it. Based off a quick google, I've noticed a lot of positive reviews of the PSA as well. The $280 deal is sold out, but you can still get the upper and lower separately for a combined price of $340 with free shipping here https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/com...#axzz5umvDD0RF

The best new price I've found on the the M&P is $500. So my question for you guys who know more than me, should I stick with the M&P as it seems to be a great rifle at a good price, or would I be OK getting the PSA for $160 less? I'm not against spending a little more for higher quality, but at the same time if I can get equal quality at a lower price, I want to take advantage of that.

Thoughts?

Also, I did use the search function but wasn't able to find any threads comparing these two rifles.

Thanks guys.

I am a Forum User
    I own and build PSA rifles. I'm also an authorized dealer for them. I have had zero issues with my builds.

As with anything, you'll have folks complain - legit or otherwise. The more items sold, the larger the possibility that one will have an issue. Goes for guns, cars or bicycles.

Some folks "complain" or say they have issues when they really don't even own PSA rifles. They've bought $3,000 rifles and feel the need to troll "the poors" who buy PSA or other stuff. Just a bunch of jerks.

PSA warranties their branded stuff for life. All their AR15 stuff is MIL-spec, too.

I am a Forum User
    I understand your reasoning on those who complain when there really isn't an issue. However I know sometimes the cheap deals are really too good to be true. But since I'm inexperienced in the AR world, I wouldn't be able to tell a good affordable rifle from a bad one. Thus why I looked at reviews and watched videos and am now consulting MGO.

I have a few of PSA’s too-good-to-be-true deals. Not one malfunction or issue in any of them. AR, AK, rifle, or pistol. Brass or steel case.. never an issue.

My Black Friday $350 dissipator actually has a better receiver fit than my “paired” SanTan receiver set that cost me well more than that.

My latest PSA is a marauder. A 7.5” AR, which are finicky on their own. In 1500 or so rounds, not one hiccup. Even with junk Tula.

I will say that the trigger that came on the dissipator was the worst AR trigger I’ve ever felt. Ever. And I’ve handled literally hundreds of AR’s working at an FFL. I replaced it with one of their $35 “enhanced” triggers, and it’s surprisingly good for $35. Better than most mil-specs. Apparently they have a new generation of triggers out, including drop-ins, that are supposedly damn good.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 07-26-2019 at 09:50 AM.

MGO Member
    +1 for PSA
    Why not buy an AR pistol kit? You can convert back and forth from pistol to rifle and back again, if you follow the rules. JMO
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I will say that the trigger that came on the dissipator was the worst AR trigger I’ve ever felt. Ever. And I’ve handled literally hundreds of AR’s working at an FFL. I replaced it with one of their $35 “enhanced” triggers, and it’s surprisingly good for $35. Better than most mil-specs. Apparently they have a new generation of triggers out, including drop-ins, that are supposedly damn good.
    IMHO, THE best replacement trigger for the money for the working man's AR15 is the Larue MBT-2S (two-stage) or MBT-1S (single stage) for $80. It's not a drop-in, but it is on par (and even better than) many of the triggers at and well above that price point.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    +1 for PSA
    Why not buy an AR pistol kit? You can convert back and forth from pistol to rifle and back again, if you follow the rules. JMO
    93bandit lives about 9 miles from me, so we're going to try to meet up @ the Howell Gun Club this weekend so he can shoot a PSA AR rifle and a PSA AR pistol so I can start him down the road of "I would spend less money if I were on meth instead of buying AR stuff from Palmetto" ...

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

@hendo: If I build a pistol AR, I'd have to register it. I don't like registration of my guns. From what I understand, I don't have to register long guns.

Also, I want a rifle first. I don't really have a good reason, other than that's just what I want.

And yes, Scoop, I have a bad habit of picking expensive hobbies. Cars, motorcycles, guns, drums etc... Oh well.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 93bandit View Post
    If I build a pistol AR, I'd have to register it. I don't like registration of my guns.
    When you finish your CPL class, you'll get certificate of training. That will allow you to obtain a non-resident CPL from another state (e.g, FL, AZ). Once you have your MI CPL *and* an out of state CPL, you are no longer required to "register" any of your pistols in MI (current AG opinion on a poorly worded MI statute).

Beyond that ... if you BUILD a pistol, there are plenty of arguments on here that support you NOT "registering" it (even without that out of state CPL). Based on the wording of the current law, you'd be committing a felony if you filled out and signed the RI-060 as *both* the buyer and seller.

MGO Member
    I would say PSA.

We have sold or transferred many from PSA and there hasn’t been any issues. They are very well built.

S&W is also solid brand. We’ve had only had one or two complaints about the guns however, we had more experience and sales so you’re more likely to have complaints for the more sales you’d have.

So if you found a great deal on PSA I’d go with those.
    Patriot Wholesale Direct LLC - FFL Dealer
    40 Engelwood Dr Ste A Lake Orion, MI (M-F 10am-5pm) - PWDGuns.com - ( 248 ) 481-7083
    $20 FFL Transfer - Guns@PatriotWholesaleDirect.com - Contact us for a quote on a new gun!
    Glock Stocking Dealer & Glock Blue Label Dealer • $20 Transfer Fee

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast