Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Review Requested: Marlin 1894 CST

I keep a list on my phone called, "Gotta Catch Them All," where I jot down ideas for firearms and accessories I want to add to the collection as I happen upon them and find deals. I don't own any lever-action guns and "Gate-loaded lever gun" has shown up in a couple places on my list forever but I've still never picked one up. Now I have a 9mm suppressor in jail and I found out that I can use it on a .38/.357 gun which got me thinking, "Why not kill two birds with one stone?" That brought me to the Marlin 1894 CST. That seems like a slam-dunk, especially since it can share ammo with a couple of revolvers in the collection.

However, they're A) Not cheap, and B) I hear some pretty terrible things about post-2007 Marlin guns.

Does anybody have any first-hand experience of recent 1894's that they can share? I need to decide whether it's the next thing I should be saving up my nickels and dimes for.

I can't comment on on the Marlin 1894 specifically but I did have a Marlin 336 produced in the last couple years (I ended up selling it just because I wasn't shooting it much). I had no issues or complaints with it but from what I've read, it is kind of a crap shoot at this point. I've been looking at the Marlin 1894 CSBL myself.

That aside, if you're on the fence about Marlin quality, you could look at the Henry All Weather in .357 and see if someone will have the barrel threaded. The overall appearance is pretty similar, albeit 4" longer, and lacks the loading gate (I prefer the gate personally) but I think most people would agree Henry quality is solidly above (new) Marlin. I owned one of those in .38/.357 that was a great shooting rifle, it had some issues running .38 every so often that I chalk up to the shorter cartridge length but .357 was a blast. Kind of disappointed I sold it actually.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    I can't comment on on the Marlin 1894 specifically but I did have a Marlin 336 produced in the last couple years (I ended up selling it just because I wasn't shooting it much). I had no issues or complaints with it but from what I've read, it is kind of a crap shoot at this point. I've been looking at the Marlin 1894 CSBL myself.

That aside, if you're on the fence about Marlin quality, you could look at the Henry All Weather in .357 and see if someone will have the barrel threaded. The overall appearance is pretty similar, albeit 4" longer, and lacks the loading gate (I prefer the gate personally) but I think most people would agree Henry quality is solidly above (new) Marlin. I owned one of those in .38/.357 that was a great shooting rifle, it had some issues running .38 every so often that I chalk up to the shorter cartridge length but .357 was a blast. Kind of disappointed I sold it actually.
    I considered buying a CSBL and having it threaded because I much prefer that furniture, but I think I'm better off buying a new stock and fore grip for the CST, especially since I don't want the rail.

No deal on the Henry. Gate-loading is a must-have for this one for me.

It sounds like I need to shop at brick and mortars so that I can look the gun over carefully before I fork over any money.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
    I considered buying a CSBL and having it threaded because I much prefer that furniture, but I think I'm better off buying a new stock and fore grip for the CST, especially since I don't want the rail.

No deal on the Henry. Gate-loading is a must-have for this one for me.

It sounds like I need to shop at brick and mortars so that I can look the gun over carefully before I fork over any money.
    I would agree with that. I'm sure if you do have issues with it, the manufacturer will take care of you. But I get it, having to send back a brand new gun for issues out of the box is a pain.

MGO Member
    I have one, Marlin 1894 CST. I picked one up earlier this year, but only got to shoot it for the first time on Sunday. Out of the box I thought the action was kind of tight. My Henry 22lr and 60’s Marlin 336 are both much smoother. I’m sure it will improve with some more use. I only shot a box of 38 Special through mine and by the end of the box my thumb was very sore. I hope that improves as well. The fit and finish are okay. The Handguard is a little loose an mine.

I have mine with a DNZ one piece mount running a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x scope. It has a HK parts three lug mount so I can mount my Griffin Optimus. It is very quiet running 158 gr 38 spl ammo suppressed.

I feel ya, huge marlin fan, I hear varying things about the new stuff as of late that it is back to normal. I dunno, then I hear other things like guys at michigun saying they try to talk people out of them, do not stock them any more, do not want to mess with angry customers. This could be lingering from all the time and money it cost them over 2008-15 or whatever.

I would risk it just because its the superior design, and it will eventually get fixed or you can get it fixed on your own, then rock it for the next 30 years exactly as you want it, everything the way you want it.

I am a Forum User
    Not sure if it's a CSt (?) but I've had a Marlin 1894 chambered in 44 Mag for many years...didn't shoot it much,
    but in the last few yrs. (since retirement) have spent more time with it & actually put some rounds downrange.
    It's a good lever gun, & with select hand loads (using H110) have fired groups that clover-leafed (all rounds touching)
    @ 50 yds.. & I'm not a great shot with a rifle (or pistol, for that matter) so I find that accuracy impressive.

I picked up a new production 1894C in 357 in June, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. The action slicked up pretty quick with just a bit of use and feels very good (granted, I have no other lever actions to compare it to, but it's fast and smooth). I found that the gate loading wasn't as hard on my thumbs as some people say - I experienced no discomfort in a 2 hour long range session with it. Maybe they've improved the gate, or maybe I just have tougher thumbs, I don't know. There are some excellent after market gates if you find you aren't happy with it. With one exception, fit and finish are all excellent for a $600 gun whose design required hand fitting at the factory. If you expect perfection in a modern manufacture gun design that requires some hand fitting of bolt, furniture, etc. then expect to pay well over $1k. That's just the reality of the dollar's strength vs. the cost of skilled labor these days. The Marlin is a $600 working man's gun, so temper expectations accordingly.

The one major exception to fit and finish was that the front sight was only drifted about 3/4 of the way into its dovetail, and it was because the tail on the sight hadn't been filed down small enough to fit all the way into the socket on the base. That seems like a pretty glaring issue to have made it through QC, but it was an easy fix. Three minutes with a triangular file and a brass punch and it was all fixed. Besides which, I now have aftermarket Skinner sights on it, which I've been happy with so far.

I'm still working up an ideal load for it (I haven't put any factory ammo through it), but I've had good results so far with Accurate No. 9 behind 158gr XTP bullets, as well as 158gr Zero JSP bullets. Unique behind the Zero bullets has given good results in 38 special.

If you haven't seen it, Lucky Gunner did a review several years ago on using the 1894C as a suppressor host. It might give you some ideas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDx6SIJ7N5I

MGO Member
    I have a Marlin 1894, JM stamped, that I use for Cowboy action shooting. Smooth, reliable, and very fun. People that do cowboy action shooting probably put more rounds from a lever gun down range, and faster, than about anyone else.

In the cowoy action community, it seems people are starting to buy the new guns again, and competing with them, and giving tham decent reviews. Many believe Remington's worst problems for the 1894 are behind them finally.

I've not shot the CST specifically, so I can't comment on that.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast