Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

FLIR for hunting

Has anyone used a FLIR for hunting or tracking a lost deer. They are very expensive and I wonder how good it works. Thanks

Mike Curtis

I played with one for awhile. Big warm rocks can look like something dead or crouched. A frosty chain link fence looks like a solid wall. My guess is that it would look the same if the trees and brush are frosty. It is a night time thing so it's usefulness will be limited to those hours. The one I played with was not magnified. You might be able to see a warm spot but the image will be small. You'll likely need a conventional light to find it, anyway. It isn't like "night vision".

I think you would be better off waiting until daylight and looking for blood. Maybe get a dog. A dog would help you find any dead animal and be way better company after the hunt.

You could just shoot them things in the neck and stop traipsing through the woods looking for deer. WAY cheaper than a dog or a FLIR.

MGO Board of Directors

I have used a Flir Scout on several night time deer tracking adventures. I don't see why it wouldn't work great, but in all honesty, it hasn't proved successful even once.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    I have a FLIR scope with digital zoom on a QD mount. I use it for scouting and tracking no problem. And it works great day or night not sure if Luckless was using a real FLIR or if he is using the correct settings.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

MGO Board of Directors

Mine found my truck just fine after the hunt last January!
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    I have a FLIR scope with digital zoom on a QD mount. I use it for scouting and tracking no problem. And it works great day or night not sure if Luckless was using a real FLIR or if he is using the correct settings.
    The stuff I played with was airport fire equipment. We had a hand held and a truck mounted unit. The idea is to use it to find victims at night in the field or brush. I would regularly try to find animals with it and look at hotspots in the daylight to figure out what I was seeing at night. There was no magnification.