Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

CPL Revocation because of clerical error

I recently had to renew my CPL and received a letter from the county clerk stating that my CLP was being revoked and the renewal was being denied. This was from something that happened 15 years ago. (2004) I got my original CPL in 2009 renew the first time in 2014 with no issues. The reason for revocation/denial was for a felony charge/conviction from 2004, which is incorrect. My criminal background report CBR say misdemeanor. I had to contact the court that had the records and inform them their records were incorrect, that was an extremely pleasant experience. Get everything straightened out. Take all this to the county clerk and explain I would like to file an appeal for the revocation and denial and am told that I have to have a lawyer to do so. I guess I am looking for anyone that has had a similar situation and what hoops were jumped through to get their CLP back.

I am a Forum User
    Your best bet is to contact Jim Makowski - http://www.makowskilegal.com/

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Your best bet is to contact Jim Makowski - http://www.makowskilegal.com/
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

MGO Board of Directors

You could possibly start by reaching out to the MSP Firearms/CPL unit (517-284-3700) and explaining that the court records were incorrect and they have since been corrected (felony to misdemeanor).

It is the MSP that makes the determination of whether you qualify for a CPL or not, so they may be willing to update your County Clerk and tell them to go ahead and process your CPL.

If they refuse to help you, then I'd call Jim!

Also, know that it may take some time for the court to update the records in LEIN. MSP will likely just run another LEIN check, and if it comes back with the same info (felony conviction), you'll be right back to square one. You might want to contact the court and verify that LEIN has been updated first.

Finally, if they (MSP) insist that the matter must be taken to circuit court…they are technically correct since that is what the law states. The difference that I see is, you aren't disputing their determination that you weren't qualified for a CPL, you acknowledge that they had valid reason, but it was based upon a clerical error of the court, which has since been corrected. If the MSP re-runs the LEIN check and it comes back clean, they should be able to approve the background check without forcing you to take the matter to the circuit court. Just know, whomever you speak with would be doing you a big favor, so avoid anything sounding "demanding"…just ask nicely!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    You could possibly start by reaching out to the MSP Firearms/CPL unit (517-284-3700) and explaining that the court records were incorrect and they have since been corrected (felony to misdemeanor).

It is the MSP that makes the determination of whether you qualify for a CPL or not, so they may be willing to update your County Clerk and tell them to go ahead and process your CPL.

If they refuse to help you, then I'd call Jim!

Also, know that it may take some time for the court to update the records in LEIN. MSP will likely just run another LEIN check, and if it comes back with the same info (felony conviction), you'll be right back to square one. You might want to contact the court and verify that LEIN has been updated first.

Finally, if they (MSP) insist that the matter must be taken to circuit court…they are technically correct since that is what the law states. The difference that I see is, you aren't disputing their determination that you weren't qualified for a CPL, you acknowledge that they had valid reason, but it was based upon a clerical error of the court, which has since been corrected. If the MSP re-runs the LEIN check and it comes back clean, they should be able to approve the background check without forcing you to take the matter to the circuit court. Just know, whomever you speak with would be doing you a big favor, so avoid anything sounding "demanding"…just ask nicely!
    Thank You