Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylSmashberry View Post
    You're saying proportionally, you've seen more revolver malfunctions than semi auto?
    During three summers in the early 1970's, on BLM cadastral survey crews in Alaska, every double action revolver carried by crew members seized up at least once a summer. Seventeen of 26 crew carried double action revolvers; a mix of .357s, .41s, and .44s. We were transported by helicopters and the silt they stirred up got into every nook and cranny. Ruger single actions performed much better than Colt and Smith DA revolvers; only one seized up. Four crew members carried .41 and .44 Ruger single actions.

Off the shelf 1911s and my ac 41 Walther P.38 never failed to function, ever, despite much longer cleaning intervals. They seemed immune to contamination. Three crew members carried 1911s, including our two pilots. Our 74 year old female cook, who couldn't have ever weighed 100 pounds, carried a .350 Brown (improved Whelan) Mauser rifle wherever she went. She was our designated bear killer, killing two one summer and another the third summer.

I got pretty good at cleaning DA revolvers. They perform better if you remove every trace of lubricant. But they are still prone to seizure.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylSmashberry View Post
    You're saying proportionally, you've seen more revolver malfunctions than semi auto?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    As long as it's a modern, quality, name brand gun, you shouldn't have a problem with a semi auto or revolver.
    And quality ammo with good solid crimps to hold the bullets in the brass.
    Since a revolver has no physical mechanism to mitigate or slow the impulse of the recoil, the entire cylinder is basically a (n-1)-at-a-time bullet puller.
    Fire a shot, and if you don't have a good solid grip, the gun kicks backwards but the heavy bullets ever so slightly try to walk out the front of the brass.
    That will bind up a revolver pretty quick, and then you gotta get out a thin knife, jam it between the cylinder and the frame, and try to nudge the bullet back into the case enough that the cylinder can advance again.
    In the case of running from a bear, you're in a bad situation if that happens. Or your friend/guide is because you'll first have to use your knife to stab them in the leg.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    And quality ammo with good solid crimps to hold the bullets in the brass.
    Since a revolver has no physical mechanism to mitigate or slow the impulse of the recoil, the entire cylinder is basically a (n-1)-at-a-time bullet puller.
    Fire a shot, and if you don't have a good solid grip, the gun kicks backwards but the heavy bullets ever so slightly try to walk out the front of the brass.
    That will bind up a revolver pretty quick, and then you gotta get out a thin knife, jam it between the cylinder and the frame, and try to nudge the bullet back into the case enough that the cylinder can advance again.
    In the case of running from a bear, you're in a bad situation if that happens. Or your friend/guide is because you'll first have to use your knife to stab them in the leg.

I’ve personally had this happen in a 45 LC Ruger SA with heavy reloads. I blamed a poor crimp at the time, but...

Whatever the cause I had to remove the cylinder to clear it. The protrusion was only a few hundredths out of the chamber, it took very little movement of the bullet as I recall.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    I’ve personally had this happen in a 45 LC Ruger SA with heavy reloads. I blamed a poor crimp at the time, but...

Whatever the cause I had to remove the cylinder to clear it. The protrusion was only a few hundredths out of the chamber, it took very little movement of the bullet as I recall.
    I’ve had more revolvers malfunction to the point of being totally inoperable than semi’s. But never a malfunction in my Toklat, even with monster hot and hand loads.

My 66-1 has failed me many times, but not from bullets unseating. Primer drag gets that one. I don’t know if it’s a factor of it being a recessed cylinder, or being exceptionally close tolerance, but primers dragging on the recoil shield has locked that guy up more than once. Of course, it was with one lot of hotter .357, and I’ve since relocated that gun to “.38 only” for other reasons, and haven’t had a problem since.

The thing I’ve found with revolver malfunctions though, is when they do bind up, they bind hard. A simple tap/ rack won’t fix them. They require attention, inspection, and correlation (sometimes tools) to un-fubar. All things you can’t do when mamma bear wants to Hugh Glass your back.

All guns are machines. All machines can/ will malfunction.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    During three summers in the early 1970's, on BLM cadastral survey crews in Alaska, every double action revolver carried by crew members seized up at least once a summer. Seventeen of 26 crew carried double action revolvers; a mix of .357s, .41s, and .44s. We were transported by helicopters and the silt they stirred up got into every nook and cranny. Ruger single actions performed much better than Colt and Smith DA revolvers; only one seized up. Four crew members carried .41 and .44 Ruger single actions.

Off the shelf 1911s and my ac 41 Walther P.38 never failed to function, ever, despite much longer cleaning intervals. They seemed immune to contamination. Three crew members carried 1911s, including our two pilots. Our 74 year old female cook, who couldn't have ever weighed 100 pounds, carried a .350 Brown (improved Whelan) Mauser rifle wherever she went. She was our designated bear killer, killing two one summer and another the third summer.

I got pretty good at cleaning DA revolvers. They perform better if you remove every trace of lubricant. But they are still prone to seizure.
    Geez, that's a really good memory for something that happened 45+ years ago. Remembering exact numbers of different types of guns and everything...
    Last edited by JohnS624; 08-19-2019 at 06:24 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Geez, that's a really good memory for something that happened 45+ years ago. Remembering exact numbers of different types of guns and everything...
    I kept a diary in my survey books and took a lot of photos. Surveyors are trained to write everything down. Worked on those revolvers every weekend while the crew was drinking in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    I kept a diary in my survey books and took a lot of photos. Surveyors are trained to write everything down. Worked on those revolvers every weekend while the crew was drinking in Anchorage or Fairbanks.
    For the record, 10x25, I find almost all your posts fascinating and informative. Thanks for sharing when you do!
    If at first you don't succeed, don't skydive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123