Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Handguns 97% effective against bear

I saw this on another forum and recalling the frequency of the subject here thought some may find it interesting

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/han...#axzz5wdJB1jXk
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

When I went out West last spring, I carried my Ruger Alaskan on my hip. While the stories of 22's are intriguing, I could not trust it to save my behind from 2 OR 4 legged beasts. 44 mag. or more would be my choice. There are places in Yellowstone where you would never be found. At my age, I never traveled too far off the beaten path, but that is no guarantee you won't encounter a bear.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Since most handgun calibers don't break 2200 fps which turns temporary wound cavities into permanent ones, all handgun calibers need is enough oomph to penetrate deeply enough to hit something vital. That story in the link about the guide in Alaska killing a grizzly with a 9mm left out some details. He wasn't carrying FMJ. He was carrying some of the hard cast 9mm ammo out there, that will penetrate 36+ inches. Bullet design is almost always way more important that the ballistics of the caliber itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Since most handgun calibers don't break 2200 fps which turns temporary wound cavities into permanent ones, all handgun calibers need is enough oomph to penetrate deeply enough to hit something vital. That story in the link about the guide in Alaska killing a grizzly with a 9mm left out some details. He wasn't carrying FMJ. He was carrying some of the hard cast 9mm ammo out there, that will penetrate 36+ inches. Bullet design is almost always way more important that the ballistics of the caliber itself.
    They're relatively new, but I'd be really curious to see the potential effectiveness of those high penetration bullets from Lehigh Defense against a bear.

I am a Forum User
    Best idea is to carry bear spray as well as a revolver.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    When I went out West last spring, I carried my Ruger Alaskan on my hip. While the stories of 22's are intriguing, I could not trust it to save my behind from 2 OR 4 legged beasts. 44 mag. or more would be my choice. There are places in Yellowstone where you would never be found. At my age, I never traveled too far off the beaten path, but that is no guarantee you won't encounter a bear.
    How often do you shoot your Alaskan fast in DA?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylSmashberry View Post
    Best idea is to carry bear spray as well as a revolver.
    +1

I am a Forum User
    The main purpose of HC bullets is to penetrate the skull.

I am a Forum User
    Desert eagle?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by .38special View Post
    Desert eagle?
    Thia crossed my mind as well, but I believe I've heard some people say the 357 and 44 mag versions are less reliable than the 50AE version. Also they're heavy as hell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast