Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGun View Post
    Thia crossed my mind as well, but I believe I've heard some people say the 357 and 44 mag versions are less reliable than the 50AE version. Also they're heavy as hell.
    If you limp wrist all at all they can be a bit unreliable but yes mine is heavy as hell
    I've shot 300+ rounds from my.44 version and only had 2 issues, both on the first day of shooting it ever.

I am a Forum User
    I'd carry a G20 in brown bear territory. Easier to carry and shoot fast and accurately. That being said, in the UP when I hike, my first line of defense is bear spray and I have a J "just because".

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by .38special View Post
    Desert eagle?
    Semi autos are not as desirable due to the higher chance of malfunction. Revolver is the best option, even with how reliable semi's have become. But Magnum Research does make the BFR as well

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylSmashberry View Post
    Semi autos are not as desirable due to the higher chance of malfunction. Revolver is the best option, even with how reliable semi's have become. But Magnum Research does make the BFR as well
    My wife is going to hate you,I just looked up the bfr, put that on my list of wanted toys

I have both a Desert Eagle and a Toklat.

The Desert Eagle is a MKVII, a slightly smaller and lighter predecessor to the current model available in .50. It is intolerant of limp wristing, but in .44 the recoil isn’t severe. Much like a 1911 with a hot 10mm. After I found a cartridge it liked, I haven’t had any malfunctions in the 500-700 rounds I’ve put through it since. Even with single hand/ off hand shooting.

The thing that sells me on the DE over the Toklat is that I can get off 2 rounds of .44 for every 1 round of .454 (accurately). Having 9 rounds of hot .44 behind a SA trigger isn’t a bad plus either. The DE in .44 is a very controllable magnum pistol, but one that requires matched ammo and a shooter that understands the gun. Each DE I’ve owned has been an individual.

A Toklat will always go bang, and will eat everything.

I do trust both with my life. In northern Michigan I typically have the DE in a shoulder rig (the weight doesn’t bother me). Out west, where there’s Brown bear to worry about, it’s the Toklat. Even with the bulkier gun with less capacity, the .454 is a sledgehammer.

I am a Forum User
    Semi autos are not as desirable due to the higher chance of malfunction.
    Maybe 30 years ago... Ever seen a revolver cylinder bind when fired DA? I've seen several.

Meh, .22LR will save you against the bear.
    Assuming you shoot the guide in the leg allowing you to outrun him. Or your hunting buddy. Or soon-to-be ex-wife. Whatever floats your goat.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

one of my old grad advisers had a story about taking his revolver on one of his alaskan fishing trips, and having new yuppies make fun of him for carrying a gun.
    then one of the yuppies had his fish stolen right in front of him by a hungry bear
    suddenly all the new yuppies wanted to be his fishing buddy.

not really helpful to the thread, but still a funny story (i think).
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Maybe 30 years ago... Ever seen a revolver cylinder bind when fired DA? I've seen several.
    You're saying proportionally, you've seen more revolver malfunctions than semi auto?

I am a Forum User
    You're saying proportionally, you've seen more revolver malfunctions than semi auto?
    About the same amount. As long as it's a modern, quality, name brand gun, you shouldn't have a problem with a semi auto or revolver. I wouldn't hesitate to use a G20 OR a 629 (or SRH) for defense. I'd prefer the 20 since it's much easier to shoot under stress.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast