I’ve been contemplating using an AR PDW in an HD role, and as usual, I like to over analyze.

Here’s the conditions:

Condo unit, connected to a mirrored condo unit by drywall in the living room. Bedroom hallway faces this drywall. So missed shots/ over penetration will send lead into the adjoining unit into their living room and down their respective hallway. Current HD setup is a .45 for me and a KSG for the wife with 00. Both will sail through drywall.

A caliber that will fragment and dissipate energy quickly is what I’m after.

My thought is my AR pistol/ PDW loaded with one of Hornady’s wonder bullets. Specifically the V-MAX and Critical Defense (FTX) both in the 55gr range. The AR pistol in question is a 7.5” (yeah, I’m aware it’s not an optimal length for the caliber). But, again, here’s my thought process. The 7.5” AR throws a 55gr bullet at about the pace a 16” AR does at 250 yards. The gel tests I’ve seen on V-max at 250 yards with a rifle yield about 6” of penetration with a lot of fragmentation and expansion. About the same energy as a 10mm, but with significantly less penetration. The V-MAX also likes to come apart in drywall as well, limiting how far it will travel into other rooms.

Hornadys new Critical Defense load has caught my eye, though I’m unfamiliar with the FTX bullet in .223, and it’s performance. Cross sections of it make it look an awful lot alike the V-MAX, but with a flattened poly tip. The other features of the cartridge claim to be a nickel plated case (neat, but not needed), and a flash inhibitor. The flash inhibitor is what grabs my attention, as the 7.5” barrel likes to throw some flame with full power 5.56 (not so much on weaker steel case .223).

V-MAX

FTX

Is my analysis of the FTX correct in that is is essentially a flat tipped V-MAX in 55gr instead of 53?

The final goal here, is to have a light maneuverable gun with a decent amount of bangs on tap, with a large amount of energy available to be dissipated in a soft target, but with minimal risk of over penetration, and the ability to fragment/ fall apart when in contact with barriers.