Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Buy or Sell gun without id?

When doing private party sales of long guns in Michigan.

How many people ask for an ID when selling a long gun? Would you sell a gun to someone who refused to show you their ID? Should you?

How many people ask for ID when buying a long gun? Would you buy a long gun from someone who refused to show ID? Should you?

Do you record that information? Do you insist on a bill of sale or receipt when buying or selling? Should you?

I am a Forum User
    Regardless of the law, I've seen people refuse to sell long guns to people without a CPL. It's not a requirement to show ID for the long gun, but as a seller it gives you a sense of security to know whoever is buying it isn't a liar or criminal.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

It's not required. I have sold a couple, and I usually ask to see some kind of ID.
    Not because I feel it's required, but because it's part of my decision to proceed or back out at the last minute. If somebody is a hothead about showing they even live in the state, I may say no. I haven't yet, but I haven't run into any hotheads either.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    I've bought a handful of long guns off my fellow mgo family, never once have I been asked to show id , I find it deplorable when they insist on a cpl. These guys scream about laws and rights, but only when applied to the government.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by .38special View Post
    I've bought a handful of long guns off my fellow mgo family, never once have I been asked to show id , I find it deplorable when they insist on a cpl. These guys scream about laws and rights, but only when applied to the government.
    I think they ask for a CPL because of all the laws. There isn't a law that requires a person to have ID or CPL to buy a long gun, but I'm sure if you sold a long gun to someone who then commits a crime with it, and somehow the gun is traced back to you, I'm sure you'd be charged with something. I would at least ask for an ID as a peace of mind. And ask the buyer to sign a bill of sale. In this day and age (and state) I don't want to be involved with any gun or the situations it may end up in after the sale.

I am a Forum User
    I don’t ask, not sure it would actually matter. Nothing I can do by just looking at it. It could be fake for all I know.

I did have one guy want to take a pic of my license and cpl. I did not mind showing him, but I was not willing to give him all my info. I was willing to sign a bill of sale. He did not disclose that he wanted copies of my IDs before I drove an hour to meet him. It did not take much persuading to get him to take a wad of cash and hand me the rifle.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    It's not required. I have sold a couple, and I usually ask to see some kind of ID.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but for private party sales, isn't it against federal law for a non-licensee to sell a long gun to a non-licensee who's not a resident of the same state? I would think that asking to see an ID would amount to little more than due diligence to comply with federal law. Sure, it can be a fake ID, but at least you can say you tried. Personally, if someone isn't willing to prove to me that they aren't involving me in what could be an illegal sale, I'd nix the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but for private party sales, isn't it against federal law for a non-licensee to sell a long gun to a non-licensee who's not a resident of the same state? I would think that asking to see an ID would amount to little more than due diligence to comply with federal law. Sure, it can be a fake ID, but at least you can say you tried. Personally, if someone isn't willing to prove to me that they aren't involving me in what could be an illegal sale, I'd nix the deal.
    This is correct, they must be a resident of the same state. Personally, any private sale of a long gun I do I ask to see the other person's ID as well as sign some sort of bill of sale for my own records.

If you don't give me a reason to suspect you're from out of state (non-MI plates, non-MI number) or underage, I really don't care. The law doesn't require me to ask you for ID so I'm not going to start making up my own rules.

I have occasionally encountered people who wanted to see my ID and do a bill of sale. Generally I'm cool with ID, but decline bills of sale, as do a lot of guys on here. The law does not require a paper trail for long guns so I'm not a big fan of creating one. I've only had one person refuse to sell to me because I declined a bill of sale, but I'm cool with it! Everyone has their own preferences.

I am a Forum User
    If you are buying a gun from me, you are required to be a MI resident.
    It would be against the law for you to buy it if you weren't so I know you are. You wouldn't violate the law just to get a gun.

We have LOTS of laws to protect us, I don't have to make up any more.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast