Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Confessions of an NRA Lobbyist

Some interesting points to possibly be considered.

I Was an NRA Lobbyist. Here’s My Road Map for Gun Reform.

There is a way to debate this issue that will actually get meaningful laws enacted that both sides can agree on.

By RICHARD FELDMAN
    Politico
    August 21, 2019

I’m a long-time gun rights proponent with pretty solid credentials. I lobbied for the NRA. I am the president of the Independent Firearm Owners Association and I even gave Ronald Reagan his first shooting lesson with a customized AR-15 when I ran the Firearm Industry’s Trade Association in 1992. I am also someone who has worked successfully on bipartisan gun control measures, specifically a child safety lock agreement supported by Bill Clinton, which explains in part why I am also a former NRA lobbyist.

Even at this highly charged moment, when emotions are at their peak after the shootings in California, Texas and Ohio, I believe there is a way to achieve meaningful gun law reforms without alienating millions of responsible gun owners who don’t believe that criminals, unsupervised children or mentally ill people should have access to any kind of weapon.

When I began my career as a lobbyist for the gun rights community back in 1984, it was not uncommon to hear prominent Democrats champion gun rights as vocally as their Republican colleagues. House Commerce Chairman John Dingell (D-Mich.), House Judiciary Chairman Jack Brooks (D-Texas) and Senator Frank Church (D-Idaho) all argued that our identity as Americans was encapsulated in the rights enshrined by the Second Amendment. But those moderate Democratic voices have all but disappeared, lost to redistricting and changing demographics, and in their place the pro-gun and anti-gun rights groups have filled the void with inflammatory culture war rhetoric—all to the detriment of average gunowners.

Democrats, the presidential field in particular, aren’t exactly helping things. Democratic candidates desperately need to realize that tens of millions of us gun folk view our participation in this democracy of ours through the lens of the gun issue. We wonder why we ought to trust politicians who want to limit our rights and our implied freedoms because some demented lunatic, or terrorist or common criminal misused a gun we wish he had never been able to access in the first place. If we continue to demonize legitimate gun owners we will fight tooth and nail to protect our property and our rights, preventing all of us from reforming what we can and bringing collective attention to issues that desperately need fixing.

Instead of bumper sticker sloganeering, why not approach this issue not as enemies but as compatriots?

1. Stop saying ‘universal background checks.’
    2. Help stop illegal gun sales.
    3. Remember: Not every gun owner is crazy.

4. Learn what “assault weapon” really means.

I'd like to send that guy a drawer full of trigger locks. They're in mint condition!

Even at this highly charged moment, when emotions are at their peak after the shootings in California, Texas and Ohio, I believe there is a way to achieve meaningful gun law reforms
    Preprogrammed to accept gun laws need to be reformed in favor of compromise. Well compromise is what got us to where we were before some in the gun community decided enough was enough and started the successful push for Constitutional carry in many States.

The right to keep and bear arms needs more like this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Preprogrammed to accept gun laws need to be reformed in favor of compromise. Well compromise is what got us to where we were before some in the gun community decided enough was enough and started the successful push for Constitutional carry in many States.

The right to keep and bear arms needs more like this guy:

Without the race-baiting, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    I'll have to watch it again. I didn't hear any race baiting the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    What race baiting? Please point out where the race baiting was.

And, in my not so humble opinion, the right to keep and bear arms needs more of "we the people" who are willing to stand up and say, believe, and live the words "not one inch"!

Quote Originally Posted by kryl View Post
    I'll have to watch it again. I didn't hear any race baiting the first time.
    I was referring to Hank Strange as a person and his conduct in general. I questioned if I should've clarified that in my comment but I couldn't think of a non-awkward way to do so.

I apologize for the confusion.

I am a Forum User
    Is there something Hank Strange has done that we should be made aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash-hider View Post
    Is there something Hank Strange has done that we should be made aware of?
    The whole deal with Yankee Marshal calling Colion Noir "an Uncle Tom" for being an NRA shill so Hank banned him from being in his chats, calls him a racist even though he is such a bleeding heart liberal he believes you shouldn't call Chris Cuomo "Fredo," continues to talk crap about him on a regular basis, and bragging about how he's too good to actually talk to Yankee or others he disagrees with man-to-man. Really the whole Hank v. Forged From Freedom dumpster fire where he acted like a triggered tumblrite SJW pulling receipts for out of context statements he'd twist to best make his flimsy points. He just strikes me as a drama queen and someone who is perceptually offended. He also bought over half his subs on his main channel in order to get better endorsement deals. So I just can't take the guy seriously.