Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Best ammo with a punch

A friend of mine just purchased a S & W 357 from the PD dept for $100 (damn him). He asked about ammo and what type of ammo packs a good punch. I told him for sure hollow point but I know there is ammo that has better hitting power than others and I'm curious also. What is good ammo to load?

Thanks

MGO Board of Directors

http://www.georgia-arms.com/new-357-...ollow-point-p/

Just a regular .357 is fine for me though! That's enough punch (on both ends of the gun.)
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    What do you mean by punch? Penetration, impact energy, kick? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001467212

Quote Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
    A friend of mine just purchased a S & W 357 from the PD dept for $100 (damn him). He asked about ammo and what type of ammo packs a good punch. I told him for sure hollow point but I know there is ammo that has better hitting power than others and I'm curious also. What is good ammo to load?

Thanks
    Ammo w/a punch -- the 357 provides plenty of punch with just about any ammo and you can practice with 38sp.

I am a big fan of Georgia Arms, but they are not the cheapest... You can always use your basic Winchester White Box for practice in 38sp and .357 mag Hornady 158gr XTP's for self defense. You won't go wrong with either and they are available usually at your local gun shop or Walmart. Just not the cheapest option.

Assuming he's talking Self/Home Defense, he need to practice shooting/loading,etc .. and then load for defense. He can use 38sp ammo for practice if he wishes - it's cheaper if you go with 158gr Lead SWC's or go real low like 158gr LRN from Prvi. But it no where near the recoil or noise of 357 ammo. I've shot some 38sp Aluminum case w/no problems, but avoid the TULA stuff - doesn't eject well and it's loaded very hot in my opinion. Remember he still needs to shoot some full power stuff so he knows what it's like.

But honestly you don't need two kinds of ammo -- Prvi Partizan 158gr HP's will work fine for both. You could buy some FMJ stuff (same brand, but it's not cheaper). Should be around 34-36 cents a round including shipping if you buy in case lots.

If he's going to buy a case (500rds) .. then shipping is free here: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi...-p-109177.aspx

or my favorite place - SGAmmo - note if you buy in less than case quantities. Shipping can eat you up, but SG is pretty reasonable

https://www.sgammo.com/product/357-m...ne-ammo-ppd357
    Last edited by Mkc451; 08-23-2019 at 12:08 AM.

I figure that all 357 ammo has a "punch." BUT if he wants ammo with a "KICK" I recommend Buffalo Bore. They tend to load it up closer to SAMMI Maximums.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=20

Best ammo with a punch

How far do you plan on shooting!

If you are looking for reliable loading and shooting 100/200 meters with your .357 Handgun

Check out IHMSA, most shooters brew there own ammo for Accuracy and Reliability.

There are good factory factory loading, but that depends on the firearm; then mainly the shooters ability to sight in and hit the intended target.

A jacket 158gr HP will drop 6" more at 100 meters than a 160gr FMJ.

If you are only shooting paper at 50 feet or 50 yards, 38 spl will do fine with +p ammo and your cost will be lower.

Reloading your own will save lots of Dollars... and get you more Bang for you Buck.. While designing your own Punch___
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

ALL commercial 357 ammo is loaded to the same SAAMI pressure spec of 35000 psi MAP and should achieve very similar velocities with same weight bullets. Recoil is the result of bullet weight and speed for the most part with powder charge weight adding a very small part. A difference in speed between two brands may exist as every firearm gives minor variations in performance with different components, but they may also be no more then lot to lot variation and change with each new lot fired, all this assuming the same test bed is used.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

hey dont hold the details so close to your vest, where is the deal?

Or was this a one off thing person to person ?

MGO Member
    If it is a Smith & Wesson .357 revolver for a hundred bucks....I'd have it checked by a gunsmith, before I put any ammo through it.

Thats just me though.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    If it is a Smith & Wesson .357 revolver for a hundred bucks....I'd have it checked by a gunsmith, before I put any ammo through it.

Thats just me though.
    I found one. A $120 66-1. I put $170 into it to have a smith rebuild it....and now it’s the best shooting revolver I’ve owned. Still looks like a 40 year old duty pistol though, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast