Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I found one. A $120 66-1. I put $170 into it to have a smith rebuild it....and now it’s the best shooting revolver I’ve owned. Still looks like a 40 year old duty pistol though, lol.
    just a note -- Gun.Deals had 4" GP100's police trades in for under 400$ @ Aim Surplus

Quote Originally Posted by Mkc451 View Post
    just a note -- Gun.Deals had 4" GP100's police trades in for under 400$ @ Aim Surplus
    That’s what this 66-1 was. It’s department stamped. And was definitely used as a blunt force weapon on more than one occasion (it looked like someone ran it through a drier). Good shooter though.

MGO Member
    Lucky Gunner has results on variety of .357 loads. Show results in both 2" and 4" barrels.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...s-test/#357mag
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat12 View Post
    Lucky Gunner has results on variety of .357 loads. Show results in both 2" and 4" barrels.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...s-test/#357mag
    Beat me to it. LG is a great source of info, and they always test the same way, so results are very repeatable.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by eightbit View Post
    What do you mean by punch? Penetration, impact energy, kick? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001467212
    Penetration, though, I assume greater penetration would result in everything else increased.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    If it is a Smith & Wesson .357 revolver for a hundred bucks....I'd have it checked by a gunsmith, before I put any ammo through it.

Thats just me though.
    He's an ex LEO and the guns were used many years ago by all officers before they went to semi-autos. It still has the stamp of the PD on it, which is where he worked. It's in pristine condition.

I was going to post that Lucky Gunner test also! But, I use plain Remington 125gr UMC SJHP , just because a 100 round box at Wally World was so cheap, and it seems to test very well in gel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8WNQxIjutc I shoot a pretty 6.5" stainless Rossi 972, mostly at steel plates for fun. My 11 and 13 year old kids even like it. It's so big the recoil is minimal. Using plain 38 ammo, you give a kid this giant silver shiny pistol that doesn't kick and they love it. Slip them a couple full blast 357 loads once in a while, and they don't notice they are learning to deal with the recoil... Here's a good list of gel tests for 357: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScubaOz/search?query=357

- Joe
    Last edited by joelansing; 08-26-2019 at 06:13 PM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
    Penetration, though, I assume greater penetration would result in everything else increased.
    Uh, no. You generally get the greatest penetration with FMJ or hollow points that fail to expand. Best performance is a trade off between expansion and penetration.
    Again, see the Lucky Gunner results linked above.
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by wombat12 View Post
    Uh, no. You generally get the greatest penetration with FMJ or hollow points that fail to expand. Best performance is a trade off between expansion and penetration.
    Again, see the Lucky Gunner results linked above.

This!

I would look for a good hard cast semi wadcutter load with the bullet weighting 158-180 grs. The next best thing is probably going to be a heavy FMJ/RN bullet.

Expansion is great as a means of increasing frontal area of the bullet creating a larger diameter hole but it also acts as a brake slowing the bullet and reducing penetration. There is a reason those chasing elephants, buffalo, and other large thick skinned, heavy boned game stay with heavy for caliber, FMJ/RN style bullets.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Look at the LuckyGunner tests already mentioned

Also, although many people poo poo the Evan Marshall one shot stop data, it's worth at least looking at imho.
    http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...etails?id=4593
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12