Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Previous poster? Over 16 years of history here @ MGO, and all I get is "previous poster"?? J/K
    If you only knew what he called you behind the scenes! LOL! J/K (SERIOUSLY…J/K!!)
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    If you only knew what he called you behind the scenes! LOL! J/K (SERIOUSLY…J/K!!)
    Even if he did/does/will, I'm sure I've earned at least some of it ...

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    If that's your goal and that's what you tell the ATF, they will deny your application. The purpose of an FFL is to run a business, not to improve your personal collection while pretending to be a business. I'm being deadly serious here. They will deny you if that is your plan.
    This is true. I would also point out that while it may be easier to not have to go through an FFL, the deals aren't really any better than you will find with places like Buds and PSA.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Even if he did/does/will, I'm sure I've earned at least some of it ...
    Seriously, he was kidding. I may have (occasionally) uttered a few choice words in my head, but I am not bad-mouthing you behind the scenes.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Seriously, he was kidding. I may have (occasionally) uttered a few choice words in my head, but I am not bad-mouthing you behind the scenes.
    Oh, I know that, SteveS.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 93bandit View Post
    Fair points. I didn't think tax stamps apply to automatic weapons. But at a minimum, I would like the additional income. Also, I have no desire to operate a business in a rental. Too many potential headaches in my opinion.
    What's your expectation for additional income?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    What's your expectation for additional income?
    Slim to none, if he's being realistic ...

I am a Forum User
    As far as what I would expect for additional income? Probably not a whole lot. I don't know what's typical, but I wouldn't think you make more than $1,000 in a year doing strictly transfers. It'd be nice if I could make $100/month.

As far as what I would expect for additional income? Probably not a whole lot. I don't know what's typical, but I wouldn't think you make more than $1,000 in a year doing strictly transfers. It'd be nice if I could make $100/month.
    Yeah, it's really not a whole lot. Even if you're doing sales, I think a lot of people assume the markup on firearms is way higher than it actually is. Also depends on how much effort you put into really getting yourself out there, advertising to strangers, handing out business cards, setting yourself up with sellers, how much you want to invest into overhead like a website and your own e-mail domain, etc... (I've had customers tell me they specifically chose me vs another local FFL because the other guy just had a Gmail account and no website so business image does make a difference to customers)

I'm certainly not getting rich off my license but it lets me handle a lot of different firearms that come through, pays for some bills around the house, and obviously I get a bit of a discount on stuff I decide to get for myself.

I am a Forum User
    The issue is the upfront costs, and protecting yourself as well as your assets. A business liability insurance plan is about $1,000 a year. A safe is recommended but not required which will set you back $300-400, and the up front cost of the license with finger prints, photos, will be about $225. So if you're plan is just to make a little bit a month, it may not be worth your time. I'm almost 4 months in and still haven't covered the start up and insurance costs. Honestly, knowing what I know now I probably never would've started this venture but I'm financially committed at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast