Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally Getting Started on my Project Gun

After about a year of putting it off and leaving it as a safe queen I'm finally going to take on the project of working on my Taurus Tracker. My plans are to get the pic rail rear sight replacement, cerakote it black, and put a red dot on it.

Any place you would suggest in the general area between Canton, Livonia, and Taylor where i could get it Cerakote'd black with some of the roll marks filled white?

Also, can you cerakote over a Hogue rubber grip? I really liked the look of the red stripe on the Raging Judge grip but it doesn't strictly fit and though the friction of the rubber will hold it on I wonder if under recoil the back might tear if there is any play so could I just paint a red stripe on a grip that is made for the Tracker?

And any red dots you'd suggest for a revolver that will mostly be shooting .44 special but might shoot .44mags every now and again?
    Last edited by JDeko; 08-24-2019 at 11:39 PM.

20190826_124020.jpg
    20190826_134753.jpg

Here is the gun in question and the grip, I really like the way that fat red stripe looks on the grip and I think it'll look a lot better on a black gun so if I can't keep that grip I'd like to put a red stripe down the back of another grip for it.

20190905_002842.jpg

Bought the red dot and the pic rail rear sight replacement. But in the installation of the pic rail as if I were developmentally disabled I lost the roll pin. Is there anywhere and/or anyway I could get a new 1/16 roll pin by the 11th when I was planning to test it out?

Any good hardware store.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post

as if I were developmentally disabled
    Not something to joke about.

I always heard them called "roll pins" but looking at roll pins they're, well, rolled. Do I want a roll pin or a dowel pin or does it matter?

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

check the database of FFLs to see if a hardware store near you is secretly a gun shop. A lot of them still are.
    Also, you could straight up find a grump old manager and tell him you're looking for a pin to fix a gun. I've done it before and had some pretty good results.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

The only hardware store listed as an FFL in my area was Northside and no one there knew about guns [they suggested I call Firing Line and ask them]. My question mostly comes down to if I need a dowel pin since the one I lost was solid or a roll pin since everyone collectively uses that term.

I'm pretty sure the last owner lost the original since when I looked at Taurus replacement parts online they show the disassembled rear sight block [you have to buy the whole thing, not just the pin and I essentially already have one superfluous rear sight and spring] the pin is black and this one was either stainless steel or in the white.

Northside also didn't have any 1/16 pins.

I really thought this would be easier to solve, but I guess at least it somewhat validates my asking since I've not gotten a simple answer yet after a lot of asking [aside from the guy I follow on tumblr who makes knives out of pipe wrenches and bottle cap windchimes who said if it were his gun he'd just use an old nail].
    Last edited by JDeko; 09-06-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    dowel pin since the one I lost was solid or a roll pin since everyone collectively uses that term.

I'm not a gunsmith but I'm 99.9% sure you want a roll pin. The roll pin will hold itself in place. A dowel requires a precise fit. Too tight becomes a press fit, too loose and it will fall out.

I am a Forum User
    *delete*
    Last edited by Quads; 09-06-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast