Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Call and Response Shooting

I do most of my shooting on private land, and I've noticed over the years that, while I'm shooting, a couple different people within probably a half mile radius will fire off two or three shots as well. It doesn't sound like they're target shooting, just firing off to say, "Yeah, we hear ya. We got guns, too." I also ran into it up north a few weeks ago while target shooting on state forest land. Someone on private land a half mile away just stepped out to fire off a few rounds in response.

I really like hearing all my neighbors who shoot - gives me the warm fuzzies - but I'm wondering what the purpose is. Is it to say, "Yay, guns! We have guns, too!" Or to say, "You better not be up to something, because we have guns, too?" Has anyone else encountered this before? Do you do it? Do you know people who do it?

Just seems like an interesting cultural phenomenon among certain gun people, and I'm curious to learn about it.

MGO Member
    Probably the easiest way to say "please don't shoot in this direction".
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    In all my years of shooting on private land, I have never heard anyone doing this, nor have I ever thought of firing a few off as a response.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Probably the easiest way to say "please don't shoot in this direction".
    That would make sense for hunters afield or something, but doesn't seem to for someone in their house living near a private range that's been used once every week or two for the last 5 years. Seems like they'd eventually figure out they weren't being shot at.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    In all my years of shooting on private land, I have never heard anyone doing this, nor have I ever thought of firing a few off as a response.
    Yeah, it's not something that ever would have occurred to me, either. I must have weird neighbors.

How many of you know what is accepted as an international form of a distress signal?

And then, how many of you know what is accepted as a response to let those in distress know they have been noticed?

You may not be experiencing this type of pattern, but you can stop and think about it.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    How many of you know what is accepted as an international form of a distress signal?

And then, how many of you know what is accepted as a response to let those in distress know they have been noticed?

You may not be experiencing this type of pattern, but you can stop and think about it.
    Considering a SAR team has never showed up while I'm shooting, I doubt that's it. Unless maybe by some weird chance those neighbors always find themselves in distress only while I'm shooting....*

*- I should note at this point that I have an excellent backstop and that there are no buildings down range for over a mile. Although I can't tell exactly where these neighbors are located, they're definitely nowhere near being downrange.

Do you shoot near mountains where you might get an echo? I live in south Lansing hood, and after I hear shots fired there is either nothing, or sirens. The strangest stuff is like you hear someone with a 9 MM or such going off, 8-15 rounds, then a reload, then more, within 30 seconds. Not fireworks, but nothing in the news. Usually after closing time.
    - Joe

I am a Forum User
    It happens out at the farm often.

I am a Forum User
    Happens at my private range a lot. It's funny, will be out shooting, then will hear a couple others out shooting, then they will shoot faster, we will shoot faster...all good fun