Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Out of state Armslist purchase???

Like the gun, received some extra pics broken down. Also was sent drivers license picture for name and address for postal money order. If my FFL will accept shipment from individual, does it seem good to go?
    What else can I do to make sure I don't get scammed?
    I have never purchased anything from Armslist before. Have had no problems with Gun Broker transactions.

Can I call his state or city police and get any info?
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Google the name and address each individually . See if things match. Also his phone number. Ask questions, tell him you are uncomfortable and note his reactions.
    Send mo receipt requested, registered.
    Do you know anyone in the same area who can do a drive by? Maybe google maps or zillow.
    Then relax.
    Good luck.
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

How much money is the transaction? I wonder if you can request that the seller ship through an FFL and use their local FFL dealer as an escrow with you sending the money to their FFL. There might be a small fee but if it's a high-dollar item, that would make me more comfortable. Then you could confirm that the FFL is in possession of the item and have them do an FFL to FFL transfer.

MGO Member
    Thanks for the ideas. Shows current address as 2 different apartments in the city of his DL, although not the address on the DL. Also phone number shows Quebec Canada fixed line, he's not Canadian.
    I'm going to write this off, and trust my instincts on Armslist.

FFL to FFL is the only way I would go through with this......and I know what the answer will be.

Thanks again.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Being a cynic is a plus in this world of Nigerian Prince's, inheritance's and your lotto winnings.
    Everyone is o willing to help.
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

FFL to FFL seems the best way to go...Gunbroker has a system in place to track feedback for sellers (and buyers) so you can see whether someone has a good track record. Gunbroker also has a buyer protection program in place in which you can get your refund if the seller tries to scam you. Armslist has no such protection in place and if someone screws you, they're not going to do anything to help, they outright state it is only meant for local transaction...

Unless the person is willing to do an FFL to FFL, I'd be very wary of any non-face to face transaction on Armslist. Think about it this way, would you buy something on Craigslist without ever seeing it and trust that stranger not to run away with your money?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    I'd be very wary of any non-face to face transaction on Armslist.
    Considering how many scammers there are on Armslist and how little they try and stop them, I'd agree with this advice.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

MGO Member
    Glad that is over. I knew FFL to FFL was not going to happen.
    If I ever do search Armslist again, it will be for local FTF transactions.
    What was I thinking!