Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AR 15 upper calibers... Convince me...

Thanks for looking. I am covered with .300 b/o and 5.56 -- long and short. I no longer hunt and odds are this would be something to pass down to the kid IF the gov't gets froggy. I am also NOT reloading and have no plans to.
    It seems all the niche calibers are now a buck a round. I like to lay in more ammo than the governments like for posterity, and that is more than I have really paid even for the Blackout, especially for range ammo (I don't want to go steel case).

Looking at 6.5 Grendel, but would it be worth the addition? Others say 75 gr. 5.56 gives the added range (not worried about really long range up here in the woods, just additional and consistent). Others like 12.5" Grendel barrels for other things.

I don't need the big caliber boomers the downstate hunters are going with.

Just looking to finish some builds without being too redundant.

what are your thoughts on 6.5 and 6.8 ?

Thats the sweet spot if you ask me.

If its for the kids, buy a bunch of lowers, buy 12-3 fifty buck lowers for each of them and get that out of the way.

Do you shoot surplus ammo? Or steel case, you can get .308 on the cheap end for 24-26 cents per round, so maybe buy them each a 5.56 lower and cheap 308 lower as well.

Look hard at 6.5 and 6.8 for a complete build.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 09-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.

I am a Forum User
    6.5 PRC

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    so maybe buy them each a 5.56 lower and cheap 308 upper.
    How would this set up help anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthWOLF View Post
    How would this set up help anyone?
    ha, opps, meant lower and lower. Because they are cheap now, my bad, brain is fried today.

Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
    6.5 PRC
    The key is utilizing AR 15 lowers. I don't want long range bolt guns...

I wish my dad, uncle, grandpa gave me any guns much less bought me a 80s cheap hk rifle, some cheap old k98 mausers, norinco clones for a song in the late 80s etc.

My dad to his credit did buy me a very nice norinco sks. Not hating on that, just 5-6 years earlier a hk for me and my brother would have been a nice gift in the closet when we turn 18.

Okay, thanks. Currently no AR-10 lowers in my cupboard. I had a complete rifle years ago with a Krieger barrel... Thing weighed a ton and I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthWOLF View Post
    ...snip... Others like 12.5" Grendel barrels for other things.

Good thinking^

Top one is a 12.5" 6.5G Light and compact and even does about 2 moa with Wolf Steel case [35 ˘/rd].
    BA Hanson profile bbl. Elander mags. PA 1-8 ACSS
    Better than the 10.5" 5.56 or the 7" 7.62x39 do with steel case.
    Wolf Gold or my handloads cut that down to MOA. Even better with Lapua 129s
    I have a 16" 6.5G rifle too. It's been to 618yds on steel at BWSA, seemed like cheating.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

I am a Forum User
    I took my 12.5" Grendel all the way to 1K yards with hand loaded 123g Hornady ELD's. It was a stretch but I made 6 out of 10 hits on a 30" plate at 1000. I use my SBR Suppressed Grendel for hunting. It is the ultimate three stand and bush rifle. I hunt with hand loaded 120g Barnes TTSX bullets. Drops them DRT. I can get 1" groups with the Wolf steel ammo and 1/4" groups with my handloads. It's a hell of a rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast