Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    That really is a beautiful gun. It's always nice to hear about these firearms with a family history, though I'm a little jealous since gun ownership skipped a generation in my family so by the time I was an adult all my grandparents were dead or senile and their guns long gone.

Sadly I think my kinda story is more and more common these days so it's wonderful to see times when it isn't the case.
    Thanks. But just for clarification, this is not the exact gun that my father in law had, this is another gun of the same model. I still couldn't tell for sure if my FIL had a model 10 variant or a pre model 10. It is really hard to know since there was no picture or anything. I was going by what my Brother in law remembers. And the info that we had can fit any 38 special revolver, with hand ejector, pencil barrel and small grip all the way from 1899 to 1957 (m&p revolvers, victory model, or any pre model 10) and from 1957 forward till 1972 (that's when he owned the gun) it could be a model 10 variant.

But given the time period of ownership I am guessing it is a model 10 of some variant..

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkc451 View Post
    Yes sir this is a beautiful revolver. Early Model 10's are things of beauty. What vintage is it, looks like the heavier barrel. You can tune the performance if you handload. My 1961 model 10 shoots to point of aim with 158gr SWC over 2.8gr of Bullseye or 148gr HBWC over same BE load. I find Winchester White Box 150gr RN shoots pretty close too. To get POA you should avoid+P rounds in my experience. I expect if you go 130gr RN, you will see it shoot high from POA. Nice thing about a revolver, the time to reload will let the barrel cool and keep your POA during a session.
    Thanks.. it is Model 10 - 5. These were made in 1962. I do not know much about these variants as I am learning as of now.. I did shoot it today using the 38 special loads I use out of my 686, and yes they are on the hot side of 38 load since I used to shoot them out of my 357 SW 686 and I always like recoil so I loaded them for fun. However when I shot them out of my SW model 10 they shot a 1/4 in to the right at 7 yards. The groups were tight in Single action but shifted to the right by roughly 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch. The group opened up in Double action as it is me not being able to maintain a good trigger control, but the group center was also shifted to the right consistently. After reading your comment, I will try to taylor a softer load in 38 SPL to see if the printing windage could be corrected..

I am also going to try loading some 9mm 124 gr bullets in 38 SPL cases to see if I get a nice accurate load for steel plates and for general plinking. I'll post updates on this matter.

Here are the group I shot today from 7 yards:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12