Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4975 & 4976 of 2019 - Establish Liability for Government Agencies or Private Property Owners that Establish Weapons-Free Zones

HB 4975 of 2019
    Torts; premises liability; governmental agencies that maintain weapon-free zones; impose liability. Amends 1964 PA 170 (MCL 691.1401 - 691.1419) by adding sec. 6b. TIE BAR WITH: HB 4976'19
    Last Action: 9/18/2019 bill electronically reproduced 09/18/2019

HB 4976 of 2019
    Torts; premises liability; safety of individuals in a designated weapon-free zone; establish liability for. Amends 1846 RS 66 (MCL 554.131 - 554.139) by adding sec. 40. TIE BAR WITH: HB 4975'19
    Last Action: 9/18/2019 bill electronically reproduced 09/18/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4976 of 2019 adds the following language:

(1) A person that owns or occupies real property and that entirely or partially designates the property as a gun-free or weapon-free zone is responsible for the safety of an individual who enters the gun-free or weapon-free zone.

(2) A person that owns or occupies real property as described in subsection (1) is liable in a civil action for damages that result from injuries that an individual sustains in the gun-free or weapon-free zone if the person failed to provide adequate security in the gun-free or weapon-free zone.

(3) As used in this section, "person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, governmental entity, or other legal entity.
    Essentially, this bill would make anybody declaring their property/premises a gun-free or weapon-free zone responsible for providing adequate security or be liable for civil action damages in the event of injuries relating to the individual(s) being unable to carry.

HB 4975 essentially says that Government agencies are not protected from liability for the above reasons.

Common sense gun laws, finally!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    No chance of them passing & if they did, no chance of them being signed.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    No chance of them passing & if they did, no chance of them being signed.
    I'm glad for every push back we can get but you're right. This is a common frustration we have with Republicans, they always do what we want them to do when they are not in power to actually do it. Oh they fight when they are in the minority so everyone can see how tough they are on this or that issue. But the second they are actually in the majority and can accomplish real change they turn mushy and fail us time and time again.

Maybe I missed it, but GFZ's have been in place since the state passed Shall Isssue right? So where was this type of legislation when the Republican party had total control of state government for years?

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    HB 4976 of 2019 adds the following language:
    Essentially, this bill would make anybody declaring their property/premises a gun-free or weapon-free zone responsible for providing adequate security or be liable for civil action damages in the event of injuries relating to the individual(s) being unable to carry.
    No, it would make them liable for any kind of injury.

This bill is written like trash, which isn't surprising given the author.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by jgillmanjr View Post
    No, it would make them liable for any kind of injury.

This bill is written like trash, which isn't surprising given the author.
    You would like to see it tightened-up to protect those that deny our rights?

I like it just the way it is written!
    Common sense gun laws, at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    No chance of them passing - period.
    FIFY, reluctantly and with great sorrow.
    Lighten up Francis.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    FIFY, reluctantly and with great sorrow.
    Wait…are you suggesting that our Legislators do NOT want to see "the people" assured safety, be it of their own undertaking or the requirement that others provide it for them??

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    Wait…are you suggesting that our Legislators do NOT want to see "the people" assured safety, be it of their own undertaking or the requirement that others provide it for them??
    No, not suggesting, proclaiming.
    Lighten up Francis.