Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: Grouse hunting

MGO Member

Grouse hunting

Growing up in the UP we used to hunt grouse like crazy. Now that I live in Southeast Michigan, I don’t hunt at all. I am looking to get back into grouse hunting in this area. I would love for some tips, areas to go to or maybe someone who wants to walk some trails and smack a few birds. I know nothing about hunting this area and when researching, nothing seems to make any sense. Too much city, not enough woods. I look forward to any feedback at all thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    Growing up in the UP we used to hunt grouse like crazy. Now that I live in Southeast Michigan, I don’t hunt at all. I am looking to get back into grouse hunting in this area. I would love for some tips, areas to go to or maybe someone who wants to walk some trails and smack a few birds. I know nothing about hunting this area and when researching, nothing seems to make any sense. Too much city, not enough woods. I look forward to any feedback at all thanks!
    In all the 45 years of bird hunting both Grouse and Woodcock I've never seen a grouse south of the Midland area. We hunted in the Huron National forest.

But here's a link that the DNR has put out regarding the Grouse Enhanced Management Sites.

I am a Forum User
    What Ruger said.
    The GEM unit in Alger would be about the closes good grouse hunting to where you live.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    But here's a link that the DNR has put out regarding the Grouse Enhanced Management Sites.
    It still amazes me that the DNR is all in a snit over some guy doing a foia for their grouse drumming survey info, yet they have no problem herding people into areas that they've worked hard to increase grouse populations. Makes no sense.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    It still amazes me that the DNR is all in a snit over some guy doing a foia for their grouse drumming survey info, yet they have no problem herding people into areas that they've worked hard to increase grouse populations. Makes no sense.
    not as profitable as the money they make from QDMA clubs.. so it isnt on their radar.

.. and they continue to raise and release the crappy brown trout, and drag their azzes on the grayling project.

.. and the timbering projects are equally abysmal...

The DNR is no longer a sportsmans' or conservationists' friend. They are out to make money and prop up their State jobs..

Quote Originally Posted by pkuptruck View Post
    not as profitable as the money they make from QDMA clubs.. so it isnt on their radar.

.. and they continue to raise and release the crappy brown trout, and drag their azzes on the grayling project.

.. and the timbering projects are equally abysmal...

The DNR is no longer a sportsmans' or conservationists' friend. They are out to make money and prop up their State jobs..
    For as long as I can remember it's always been about the power and the money.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    In all the 45 years of bird hunting both Grouse and Woodcock I've never seen a grouse south of the Midland area. We hunted in the Huron National forest.

I've seen and killed grouse in Genesee county from the 1970's up to 1997 when I moved to Atlanta.

Just look around a bit in some of the subforums here and you'll find plenty of people grousing about this and that. It's always grouse season in some thread, and you should have no trouble limiting out on grousing.

...or was that not what you meant?