Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: ShiftHappens

I can't post links yet! Forum User

ShiftHappens

Hello Everyone,

My name is ShiftHappens and I am moving soon to the state of Michigan. I joined this forum to get a better idea of about gun owners of Michigan as well as some of the laws and regulations of the state. I am moving back to Michigan to be closer to family, have use of a private range, and job opportunities are plentiful where I am going. I enjoy firearms and have a soft spot for military surplus. I own a few AK's and an AR receiver I intend on building (I like both types of firearms, but prefer the AK). Here are some questions and comments.

Q1.) If I were to build that AR from a receiver into a pistol, does it need to be registered with the local sheriff's department to be legal? I read that, in the law it specifically mentions that purchasers who have a concealed carry permit from another state are exempt from this requirement. I have severe issues with giving any government any information in that regard (registration of firearms) and I vehemently oppose it. In the state I am from- Pennsylvania, I can straight up build the receiver into a pistol as long as it falls within the legal definition of a 'pistol' and not a short barreled rifle. I am aware of those requirements.

Q2.) Can I legally conceal carry a firearm in Michigan before I declare my residence? How many days until I have to inform the Secretary of State/DMV? (whatever Michigan calls it). I have a conceal carry permit that is valid in Pennsylvania, from Pennsylvania. At what point is it no longer valid to carry in Michigan when I begin my entry into the state? I know Michigan has ridiculous rules regarding out of state permits.

3.) Based upon a search of who my elected representatives are for my area, all of them are anti-gun (federal government). I will be on the side that votes them out when election time rolls around. Pennsylvania is not that much better. We have an anti-gun (MAIG) governor, Lt. Governor and Attorney General with two anti-gun Senators (Toomey (R) and Casey (D)). YES, I just said that a republican was anti-gun. A lot of them are turning coats these days, especially in Pennsylvania. It seems that all of my representatives are Democrat and anti-gun. I have not researched who my state representative is, but I am assuming gun control isn't progressing (no pun intended) because the state legislature is held by the republicans. We are in a similar situation in Pennsylvania. And yes, if you have heard of Bill Peduto (mayor of Pittsburgh) he is a huge pain in our rear, and a fool.

4.) I am a political independent (who often sides with Libertarians and Republicans) and vote anyone out who violates their oath of office or violates the Constitution- which is pretty much the name of the game for all politicians today. I am only active in politics where firearms are concerned because politics is Grade A bovine excrement. I have been voting since 2008 and I have not voted for one Democrat because every one of them has been anti-gun. I am a member of Gun Owners of America and an ex-NRA member. I don't oppose the NRA or its members, I oppose the board, La Pierre and Hammer. Cox used to be in there but he is gone now.

5.) Robert Francis is cute if he thinks Americans will hand over their firearms willingly. See: Beto O'Rourke

6.) I would like to own a machine gun one day, and currently our state has a ban on them. This is ridiculous and may *MAY* make me consider moving to Indiana in the future. If I have a choice between a machine gun and a corvette- it's gonna be #1.

7.) I carry a gun religiously. 99% of the time I will have a firearm on my person or within 10 feet. I carry a three level system, but will most likely carry either the Sig P365 or M&P9mm (1st Generation). I believe in the right to carry as a fundamental human right as important as free speech, right to privacy, etc. etc. I also firmly believe that our rights are NOT granted to us in the Bill of Rights but they are recognized in that document as '10 things the government cannot do', not '10 things the government shouldn't do'. I also firmly believe that this country is NOT a democracy but a federal constitutional republic (for Richard Stands), in order to protect the rights of all citizens and not the majority or minority.

Thank you for your time.

-SH

I am a Forum User

Welcome! Michigan is not the gun friendliest state in the nation but we have come a long ways in the last 20 years. We have some stupid restrictions and some fiddly ones so its going to take time to learn them.

That's a lot of questions, some of which have been covered in detail in threads on this site. There is no way we can answer these in detail in one thread. You should research each one and open threads in the appropriate sub forums when you have specific questions. People here are generally very helpful but what helps get questions answered is if they are specific and its on you to do enough research to know what questions to ask.

I'll take a high level attempt-
    1. Yes this is correct. If you have a non-resident CPL from another state you do not need to submit the form to your local PD that records the transaction. Michigan does not have a gun owner database but they do have a transaction database. Your resident of Pennslyvania CPL will not work for this. I assume that CPL is no longer valid when you become a resident of Michigan. A non-michigan resident can not buy a handgun in Michigan without shipping it to a FFL in your state of residence.

2. It appears Michigan recognizes Pennsylvania resident CPL. https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...ania-gun-laws/ CPL is done at the county clerk in Michigan, not the DMV. You need to take a CPL class in Michigan. Your going to have to look into how you go about being a resident of one state to a resident of Michigan without having a gap in your CPL license.

3. I don't know what district your in.

4. No matter what you vote you will find allies and adversary's here with most being strongly pro gun/pro 2a but a large disagreements over what that means.

5. AR salesman of the month

6. Its possible to have a machine gun in Michigan but its not easy and its expensive.

7. You will find many like minded people here.

Welcome to Michigan.

What part of PA are you from? City, county, town??