Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

In Memoriam Forum User

Question Red Dots, old school/new school?

I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide which red dot sight to buy. I've narrowed it down to an Aimpoint CompM4s or a Trijicon SRS. Aimpoint is very old yet simple reliable technology, 45 years old to be exact. Numerous models have been discontinued over the years. Newer ones are not necessarily better than the older ones. Trijicon seems to think they're infallible yet they've had issues in recent years. In particular the SRS had issues from day one. I've read they're since resolved the problems but how do you know what you're going to end up with if you buy one. It's not like they're flying off the shelves so some inventory is likely to be the older generation prior to the fix.

I like the simplicity of Aimpoint, an LED, a battery, a switch and some resistors. Not much to go wrong. The electronics in the newer red dots seem to be pretty durable and reliable so far, but who knows for how long. The membrane controls concern me, especially when exposed to any cleaning solvents. I truly like the idea of using a "AA" battery, cheap and available everywhere!

I've deliberately left EOTech out. They had a gigantic recall a few years back. Their dot-matrix laser reticle is low resolution, looks a little bit fuzzy, no sharp. They had issues with it holding it's alignment, intermittent battery contacts, etc. They're also somewhat bulky.

I know the topic has been discussed to the point of exhaustion, but what's the latest opinions and are there any you'd advise me to effeminately avoid and why?
    Last edited by VIGILANT; 10-01-2019 at 10:04 AM.

I am a Forum User
    I have an Aimpoint Micro on my rifle. I bought it new 9 years ago and it has been absolutely flawless.

I am a Forum User
    Dear Vigilant:

I am a bullseye shooter and I currently own three aimpoints, one of their original models that first came out, a 9000L, and a aimpoint micro. The aimpoint 9000 SL (short version of the L) is the major workhorse on the bullseye line. The army marksmanship unit uses 9000 SL on their 1911's and those guys shoot thousands of rounds every week. Makes no difference if they are mounted on the slide or the frame, those scopes take a beating. I spoke with a couple of the AMU shooter at camp perry and they are impressed with the 9000 SL. My 9000 L is mounted on a shuffy's shortened M1 Garand and it is still ticking after taking a licking. I have no experience with the compM4 but if you get one, save the receipt to retain their lifetime warranty.

My only complaint with the 9000 SL is the weight, which is why I went with the aimpoint micro. I have forgotten how much I paid for it used (wanted the 4 moa dot which was discontinued) and I am a happy camper. no buyers regret and I do not peak to see what my competitor is using and I never get envious.

I also have a trijicon rifle scope that is about 15 years old and the iridium stuff is expired but it still is a really good scope. The optics are not top notch (as in US Optic top notch) but comparable to a Leupold. It is a great scope but a touch over priced in my opinion.

While these are not the specific products you are considering, I have used these optics and they have delivered excellent service without a problem.

Regards,
    Crankster

While I am slowly adding lighted magnification to most everything long gun now, I still have a Comp M2 and a Comp M3 on a couple of my shorter barreled uppers. No complaints there.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthWOLF View Post
    While I am slowly adding lighted magnification to most everything long gun now, I still have a Comp M2 and a Comp M3 on a couple of my shorter barreled uppers. No complaints there.
    I've been hearing/reading that trend more and more. I even considered the Burris AR-332, but I think 3X would cause movement to be too fast for close quarters.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/...-series/ar-332

In Memoriam Forum User
    Well I settled on a Aimpoint CompM4s from LaRue Tactical. I ordered it, then received an email saying it was out of stock even though their website showed it in stock, so it would have to be back ordered. Well you know how that goes, so I canceled it and might look elsewhere. In a way I'm glad it didn't ship. I was having second thoughts on the necessity of spending $800+ on a simple red-dot. So back to square one.

Is it going to be used for competition? Is this a primary defense weapon? Or just a range/fun gun?

Years ago (many years ago... sigh) I bought a Tasco red dot.. they were pretty much THE name in competition at the time. It was inexpensive, accurate, and held zero well. I mounted it on my Mossberg 500 for deer season and weekend fun shoots, on a Browning Buckmark for plinking and rabbit hunting, and a bunch of other guns. I think I sold it with that old Buckmark 20-ish years ago.

I like inexpensive, but sturdy for plinking/fun. If it were a competition gun, or the gun I'm staking my life on, I'll gladly drop more than I paid for the gun itself. I want utter reliability.

Either the Aimpoint or the Trijicon should keep you happy for years.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Is it going to be used for competition? Is this a primary defense weapon? Or just a range/fun gun?

Either the Aimpoint or the Trijicon should keep you happy for years.
    Mostly a range/fun gun, but every gun is a defense weapon to me. I was also considering the Trijicon SRS02. I bought a SRS01 when they first came out and I really liked it even though it was pretty heavy. It has a very open wide field of view! But I read they were having some internal reflection issues although I never experience them. I ended up selling it with a gun I sold. My fun gun red-dot was a Bushnell TRS-25. I've owned a few over the years and for about $90 you can't beat it! And if you do beat it, they hold up fairly well. I wouldn't take it to battle, but I'm too old for that anyway!

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    If looking for a basic red dot, take a look at the Vortex Crossfire RD1.

MSRP $219.99

Normal Retail $120.00 - $150.00

This is a well-built basic 2 MOA red dot that comes with some very nice features and the Vortex lifetime warranty. In the box you get the optic, manual, bikini style lens caps, T-10 Torx wrench, CR 2032 battery, a high mount, a low mount and a lens cleaning cloth. The optic itself is smaller in size and only weights 5.2 ounces. Features include the following:

11 Brightness Settings
    Windage and Elevation Adjustments
    Raised Adjustment Tool built into top of Windage and Elevation Caps
    Unlimited Eye Relief
    No Magnification
    Parallax Free
    2 MOA red Dot
    Very Good Multi-Coated Glass
    Waterproof
    Hard Anodized Matte Finish
    7000 Hour Battery Life on mid setting
    Length of Unit 2.5 inches

I used the high mount on my Kel-Tec SU16a because it also allows me to use the stock sights if needed. The optic was very easy to sight in. The windage and elevation adjustments have nice detents and each click represents a 1 MOA adjustment (100 MOA range for each). The caps have a built-in tool to make the adjustments, so no additional tools are required. The glass is very clear and the dot is sharp.

There are 11 brightness levels (with detents) which are easily set using the large knob. The unit can be turned off by setting the brightness level to 0 or by rotating the knob in-between the detent settings.

I have not experienced any issues with the optic holding zero or faulting in any other manner. On YouTube, you can find videos of people performing torture tests that the optic passed with flying colors. I have not performed these same tests on mine.

I can honestly say that there is nothing I do not like about this red dot. It is a solid, simple to use, basic red dot that I would not hesitate to purchase again for another gun. Getting less than 1” groups with SU16a using 5.56 ammo from a bench rest position. Due to its size and weight, this could be a good optic for a handgun as well.