Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

In Memoriam Forum User

Question Muzzle devices that attempt to force the blast/noise forward and down range?

I'm looking for suggestions for the best muzzle device (other than a suppressor) that does a respectable job of forcing or redirecting the muzzle blast and noise forward and down range? I'm not concerned about muzzle flash and I really don't need recoil reduction, so the conventional flash hider or muzzle brake is really not what I'm looking for.

I made the mistake of taking an AR15 to the Lapeer pit with a muzzle brake several years ago. It wasn't appreciated by fellow shooters and in fact it literally blew the hat off the guy standing next to me! That was using 5.56mm, now I'm going to using 7.62x51mm with a 18" barrel. Again I don't want to go with a suppressor, but I do want the most effective blast deflector available that is legal. I'm considering the Noveske KX5 at this time but am hoping for a solution that is not so heavy.

Any real life reviews and suggestions would be appreciated.

I am a Forum User
    Depending on barrel length, port location, and port size, the Noveske KX’s could be a bad idea. I had one on a 10.5” 5.56 with carbine length gas system, that was already over gassed, and it give me major issues because it over gassed it even more, a lot more. Took it off and replaced it with a Troy Claymore. The Claymore over gassed it a hair more, but no issues. The KX was a little better in blast diversion, but not worth the hassle. Going with a flash can that has more than one hole in the front is usually better, unless you have firearm that is under gassed, then the KX would be better.

The lightest option is going to be a KAK. They are made out of aluminum, however they are basically a KX flash can without the front cap. Still works for blast diversion, just not as well. I say try a KAK first because they are pretty inexpensive.

Edit - I see KAK also has a blast converter that has a front cap, with multiple holes, made of steel.
    Last edited by BMT85; 09-30-2019 at 05:29 AM.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BMT85 View Post
    Depending on barrel length, port location, and port size, the Noveske KX’s could be a bad idea. I had one on a 10.5” 5.56 with carbine length gas system, that was already over gassed, and it give me major issues because it over gassed it even more, a lot more. Took it off and replaced it with a Troy Claymore. The Claymore over gassed it a hair more, but no issues. The KX was a little better in blast diversion, but not worth the hassle. Going with a flash can that has more than one hole in the front is usually better, unless you have firearm that is under gassed, then the KX would be better.

The lightest option is going to be a KAK. They are made out of aluminum, however they are basically a KX flash can without the front cap. Still works for blast diversion, just not as well. I say try a KAK first because they are pretty inexpensive.

Edit - I see KAK also has a blast converter that has a front cap, with multiple holes, made of steel.
    Thanks, great info!

I have an OBNOXIOUS 7.5” 5.56 build. Without a linear comp it’s like a bomb going off. The concussion is insane.

I have a PSA linear comp (basically a KAK with the ability to mount a handguard on it). It makes a world of difference. It’s still loud, but I’d say the concussion is reduced 30-50% from my perspective as a shooter. It’s tolerable enough to shoot indoors, and isn’t any worse than a Magnum revolver in a stall. Flash is diverted down range instead of in a big ball at the end of the muzzle too.

This pic really shows what it’s doing with the gasses. The funnel shape of the device forces the gas into a tubular shape before sending it down range. It’s does a very good job. It’s also aluminum, which is good and bad. It’s light weight, but it’s also going to be easier to ding up, and erosion may be an issue later on. I have maybe 800-1000 through it so far, and no erosion visible from the outside.

In Memoriam Forum User
    I like it! I guess if you ran out of ammo you could beat a guy with it too!