Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hand surgery

Hand surgery

Been putting this off for years now. Have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands. Right is the worst & of course I'm right handed. Surgery is scheduled for early Dec. as of now. Never a GOOD time for surgery, but it keeps me awake at night & I can hardly do anything without my hand going to sleep.

My concern is how can I protect myself & my family while the hand heals? I have done some limited left hand shooting. Had to qualify with a 1911 in the Corps using both hands. Strictly one handed shooting in either hand. During CPL qualification, I did shoot some left handed.

Going to Top Gun tomorrow & start to re-program my brain for shooting left handed. Also have to see which of my carry guns feels the best. Think I'll leave the XDS 45 at home. Thinking 380 ACP. I carry a Colt Mustang for deep cover in the summer months. May just stick that little bugger in the sling & hope for the best.

Hoping to get some ideas from any of you that may have had the procedure done.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Hmm I would lose sleep over the recovery. I like to think I'll almost always be ok, as long as I have any gun and can draw it. If you pop one off and miss he's still running for the hills.

You will feel more vulnerable than you really are.

Never had hands worked on. My suggestion long term is do exactly what the doc says, I had ankle surgery with three pins in about 1994, and arthroscopic knee surgery as a kid in 1990. Neither ever hurts. Ankle not once after recovery. Knees probably have not hurt 4 times for any reason in 28 years.

I did to the t the exercises, rest, weight, rehab, everything. Never pushed it, never played the tough guy.

I have brothers and cousins and friends that did not listen they had arthritis in their early 20s

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

see if you can find a physical therapist that's a shooter. they'll know exercises.
    also, I wouldn't sweat it too much. run a little practice with your left hand, make sure you can still pull a trigger with your right hand after the surgery.
    in the gravest extreme, if instinct takes over and you pop a few shots righty, it's probably going to be the least of your worries.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    CBD oil. Try it. Also balm. Buy from Lazarus Naturals. They offer veteran discount. All Organic.

I am a Forum User
    I'm in need of having my TFC rebuilt in my right wrist but have been putting it off due to the 3-4 month recovery. I tried shooting with my left, its doable but wasn't pretty. I would start with something small and get the muscles down then work your way to your carry gun. I dreading the day it finally self destructs and I have no option but have it done, will probably be in spring which would mean no shooting, fishing, kayaking or motorcycles for a season lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    CBD oil. Try it. Also balm. Buy from Lazarus Naturals. They offer veteran discount. All Organic.
    100% this. Cannaboid CBD works the best and there are lots of places in Ann Arbor that will sell it without a prescription, which is legal. Hemp CBD oil is decent but not even 10% as good as the real stuff.

That being said, I don't use either (Hi ATF!), but have lots of friends who use CBD oil/Creams and it's replaced 5-6 different pain meds fro them. It's incredible.
    Canadian Import.
    μολὼν λαβέ, Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    Reddit: u/MapleSyrupJediV2 moderator of r/GunAccessoriesForSale & r/MiGuns

Shot a couple hundred rounds yesterday. Using my left hand while imagining as a mirror image was pretty awful. Would take a long time to get the results that would be acceptable. Take for granted the muscle response & just the way one holds the pistol is something quite amazing. Trying to do all of that opposite is another story. Did pretty good just using the one hand stance like I did in the Corps. John, at Top Gun suggested trying the HOME BOY stance, you know tilting the hand at the wrist gangster style. Actually does help. Surprised myself on how well I was able to keep the sights on target. Was shooting at a 6" "Shoot 'n SEE" @ 15'. Had a few flyaways, but kept them on target for the most part.

Had a Witness in 9mm that I have been carrying lately, a Spectrum 380 & a Walther 22 semi auto. The 9 was the best overall. The 380 has a terrible trigger & was very hard to shoot. The 22 worked out ok, but I really wanted to concentrate on something to carry.

Next out I will bring the Colt Mustang in 380. I have been carrying the XDS in 45 for so long, nothing else I have seems to work. Most of my 9's are full size &/or too heavy. Not really wanting to buy a gun just for the recovery time. Been carrying for too long to be comfortable being out & about un-armed.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Most of my 9's are full size &/or too heavy. Not really wanting to buy a gun just for the recovery time. Been carrying for too long to be comfortable being out & about un-armed.
    I thought you bought that Kimber 9 from Dunham's and don't you have a couple SCCY's?

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Shot a couple hundred rounds yesterday. Using my left hand while imagining as a mirror image was pretty awful. Would take a long time to get the results that would be acceptable. Take for granted the muscle response & just the way one holds the pistol is something quite amazing. Trying to do all of that opposite is another story. Did pretty good just using the one hand stance like I did in the Corps. John, at Top Gun suggested trying the HOME BOY stance, you know tilting the hand at the wrist gangster style. Actually does help. Surprised myself on how well I was able to keep the sights on target. Was shooting at a 6" "Shoot 'n SEE" @ 15'. Had a few flyaways, but kept them on target for the most part.

Had a Witness in 9mm that I have been carrying lately, a Spectrum 380 & a Walther 22 semi auto. The 9 was the best overall. The 380 has a terrible trigger & was very hard to shoot. The 22 worked out ok, but I really wanted to concentrate on something to carry.

Next out I will bring the Colt Mustang in 380. I have been carrying the XDS in 45 for so long, nothing else I have seems to work. Most of my 9's are full size &/or too heavy. Not really wanting to buy a gun just for the recovery time. Been carrying for too long to be comfortable being out & about un-armed.
    Traded the Kimber earlier in the spring. May try the SCCY. Think the trigger will be like the Spectrum.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    I've had it done to both hands. You should be told to remove bandages after three or four days, at that point you can use your right hand to shoot with ONLY if needed to protect your family.
    Yes it may hurt but what is more important your hand hurting a little bit or your family's lives.
    Remember your chances of needing to shoot while healing are very slim and you should be able to buy a rubber grip sleeve to help cushion the recoil.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast