Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prism red dots are the cure for blurry dots with astigmatism ?

If this is true I want to hear what you guys saw different, is it really a perfect dot on a good red dot ?

I wear glasses, barely need them, only at long distances, I can work and drive with out them for some context. Not sure what numbers to share off eye glass exam, just I know I have astigmatism as told by the doc, and def verified looking at my more budget red dots like my vortex and primary arms red dots.

Sooo with an eye towards high value durability but not something I am really going to beat on what should I keep an eye out for ?

The "axis" is the figure that denotes your astigmatism IIRC. It in my experience is the 3rd number on your script.
    Your glasses should help the Astigmatism. I just received a new pair in the last 2 months and although it did not totally clear up my dot and make it a perfect sharp ball, it improved its appearance greatly. My old script had me seeing a blurred line with a star burst around it. My new glasses leave me with a single dot that has a faint "blur" to it that could be due to a cataract that is getting about due to be removed.
    BTW I wear progressives. My eyes are getting old and where I got by since a kid with only needing glasses for distance, the last 20 years my close up vision has gone steadily down hill and other medical problems are not doing me any good..
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I'm 40, had perfect vision to about 20, got mild lenses then, script barely change the next 20 years.

I see a triple dot on most of them, its clean enough to be very useful, its still sorta small, and on a 22 which turned down brightness really helps the primary arms red dot, and decent dot.

The vortex its still triple dot but again, very useable. Especially on an ak, its not match grade ar15 with the fanciest aimpoint on it where its holding me back.

Its just if I buy say two more red dots, one for the other ak, to start, I wanted to buy the right stuff based on my condition.

I got the script and am looking at lenses on line, so I have not bought new ones, is there a lense tech that makes this better, a coating or anything like that ?

Yes for a 1x type optic going to a prismatic will solve the distortions. Another trick is to look at the dot through the backup rear sight. Everyone’s eyes are different. I have slight astigmatism but I can tell a difference in the quality of the optic and the accompanying quality of the dot. I recently tried a circle dot red dot and the dot is more of a dot than the regular dot on a cheaper optic. On par with the dots on my MRO or Aimpoint micros. Here is the weird stuff when using a 3x magnifier the dot in the circle dot does not distort but the dots on my premium optics become chevrons. I have looked through 1x prismatics and my preference a LPVO with a true 1x. Both have zero distortions.

I’ve got 2 Primary Arms prism scopes, ones a 3x, and the other a 1x, both are distortion free chevrons. Awesome scopes with a one time focus setting, for a razor sharp image.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Dear Dirt:

As a competition bullseye shooter that has a tremendous amount of experience with red dots, reflex, prism, and holographic, I can honestly tell you from experience that a blurry dot will not be corrected by switching between the different types of scopes.

What you need is a good arm stretcher to get the dot out there where you can focus on it properly! :P

Now you did not say if you were using it on a rifle or a pistol. If you are using it on a rifle, I am not able to assist you.

If you are mounting a red dot on a pistol, well the only solution to a blurry dot will be to get a good pair of glasses with a focal length of 25 to 30 inches or so. Might have to bring your handgun to your optometrist to get it right but that is really the only way. The downside is that you will have a expensive pair of glasses that are only good for handgun shooting and desktop computers.

If you are a competition shooter, you could do what I do. go to Champions choice and get a pair of their shooting glasses. These are very expensive weird looking glasses that have a lens on one eye, a blinder on the other, and tight ear hooks that drive you nuts after 20 minutes. You do not want to wear these into dollar general because they will be calling community mental health to come collect you. You are definitely not going to get lucky at the local watering hole friday night wearing these ugly things. The only good thing about them is that they work like a charm on red dots and pistol shooting. You can even get a adjustable aperture to fine tune the sight picture but the CMH dudes will bring the straight jackets.

Now, this probably is not the answer you were looking for but a pretty good alternative would be to get the best red dot available that minimizes the distortion you see. I can recommend a couple that you check out with your own eyeballs and see for yourself if they will work for you.

The first red dot that you need to check out is the Tasco Pro Point red dot. yes the lowly tasco red dot pro point. Ya see, tasco has been making these things for a long time although they have been updated a dozen times there are good ones and lousy ones. The Generation 1 tasco pro points are junk. they are identified with a 30 mm tube and a external tube battery unit that hung off the side. do not get one of these. The generation 2 and Generation 3 are identified by the 30 mm tube and a batter that is a 1/3 N battery which is about a quarter inch in diameter and 3/8 th inch long. These scopes have the purest dot but are really heavy. Realistically, you are not going to get a better appearing red dot then these models. I have one mounted on one of the barrels for my SW model 41. The downside of these scopes is that they are heavy. really heavy. They were the top of the line scopes in the 90's when red dots were gaining traction in both bullseye and IDPA and they are a high quality scope. Dot size is 5 MOA.

Next up for consideration is the current issue Tasco pro point. These are identified by a 36mm tube with integral weaver mounts and a button style watch battery. 5 moa. Not quite a pure a dot as the old generation 2 scopes but pretty damn good. I have one mounted on my Pardini K22. They cost about 60 bucks but they are really high quality. For what it is worth, the Pardini K22 is a Eurpean Free Pistol, worth about $1,600.00 and I compete with it. Yes, I have my cheapest red dot on one of my most expensive firearms and that is a statement of the quality of these red dots.

Next up are the microdots. Aimpoint H1 are about the best and expensive. Lightweight, 2 moa, I have one on my Pardini SP new. Other microdots to consider are the Nikon, Sig Romeo 5, Holosun, and Primary Arms. I have one of each of those and am unable to tell the difference quality wise between them. I do prefer the rotary dimmer control knobs as opposed to the push button ones because sometimes I turn the dot off when trying to adjust the brightness with the pushbuttons. Not comfortable using the pushbuttons in competition.

Next up would be the aimpoint 9000 L and 9000 SC. Identical scopes, the only difference being the total length with the SC somewhat shorter then the L. I have the 9000 L which used to be mounted on my Pardini SP New until I got tired of the weight. I mounted it on my M1 garand and have not looked back. Bullet proof, good dot, Excellent tracking.

I also have three ultradot match dot II which have great dots with less astigmatism distortion but they have a slight negative magnification which drove me nuts and I removed them from all my competition pistols.

As you have obviously surmised, I have a number of red dots mounted on a number of firearms and if you would ever like to come check them out at the firing range, drop me a line. Always happy to have another excuse to head to the range.

Regards,
    Crankster

I am a Forum User
    Dear Dirt:

For what it is worth, I would stay away from the Vortex red dots. I have assisted a number of new shooters that have purchased a vortex product and there was a unacceptable amount of slop in the windage and elevation adjustments. If you are setting it once and leaving it be, then they should deliver acceptable performance. Personally, with the precision that we require in competition, getting them zeroed with the five or so clicks of slop was annoying but doable. As a competition sight where you are adjusting it every match for local conditions, you would need to record your adjustment so that you could overcome the slop as left the last time in addition to the distance you had it zeroed.

Regards,
    Crankster

Quote Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
    Dear Dirt:

For what it is worth, I would stay away from the Vortex red dots. I have assisted a number of new shooters that have purchased a vortex product and there was a unacceptable amount of slop in the windage and elevation adjustments. If you are setting it once and leaving it be, then they should deliver acceptable performance. Personally, with the precision that we require in competition, getting them zeroed with the five or so clicks of slop was annoying but doable. As a competition sight where you are adjusting it every match for local conditions, you would need to record your adjustment so that you could overcome the slop as left the last time in addition to the distance you had it zeroed.

Regards,
    Crankster
    I already have one, but I didn't even have to pay for it, dad had it laying around, used the mount it came with for another red dot and it was collecting dust. It seems ok so far at 100 yards with an ak. Probably ok for that, but not for competition, I understand, I think it was only 170-240 dollars, something like that.

I know it can't be the best at $170.

Quote Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
    Dear Dirt:

Regards,
    Crankster
    good info. One of the other red dots I have is the primary arms https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...y-life-red-dot

other one is vortex strike fire II. Thats on a saiga converted ak. Primary is on a marlin 70p with a rail. Neither are world beaters in accuracy. Nothing competition worthy.

I should add to my post that I wear corrective vision contacts for astigmatism, and need readers. Like I said, set the ocular focus ring, and both scopes are razor sharp.
    Active airport shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast