Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5.56/.223 Range Ammo Suggestions

My plan is to start taking my AR-15, chambered in 5.56, to the range more frequently, especially after rediscovering how much fun it is to shoot. When I bought the rifle last year, I picked up some American Eagle 55 gr boat tail FMJ, which works, but then, I'm not an expert, either. What grain of ammo would you experienced long-gun types suggest, considering I have a 16 inch, 1:8 twist barrel, and I would like to be able to punch holes in paper and ring steel out to at least 100 yards (perhaps further since my club's range goes out to 200 yards). What are some good sources for purchasing in bulk?

I'm also thinking about an entry-level AR for my oldest grandson, and from what I can tell, most will have a barrel twist of 1:7. I think I would need a bullet that would work well in both rifles.

Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    No reason why 55's or 62g won't work. They're both incredibly common, readily available online or in stores, and have been tried and trued for the last 40 years for said rifle.
    With regards to the 1:7, it will perform just as your other barrel/rifle, however would be able to shoot a slightly heavier pill should you ever want to. (something up in the 70+ grains with the faster 1:7 twist rate) Both will shoot the 55's and 62's perfectly.
    The American Eagle stuff is excellent ammo out of the box. If I recall, it's LC brass, so it's a great choice if you brass hound for reloading.
    I shoot mostly 62's however I roll my own and never shy away from the 55's when I find them on sale. Either will serve you well.

MGO Member
    [QUOTE=Mr. Waverly;3155124] What are some good sources for purchasing in bulk?[QUOTE]

I use SGAmmo.com in Stillwater OK.
    Veteran Family Owned and Operated, great prices and fast shipping.

https://www.sgammo.com/
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

For bulk purchasing - I like TargetSportsUSA -- free shipping in bulk (1000rds) and if you order often, they have the equivalent of Amazon Prime -- ie pay 95$ a year, get free shipping on all purchases and some discounts. There can be cheaper ammo out there, but you always have to calc in the shipping costs. Lot's of time for bulk purchases TargetSportsUSA is cheaper overall.

Target Sports USA and SGAmmo are both excellent. I use Sportsmans Guide, Natchez Shooters Supplies, and Outdoor Limited as well. All just depends on who happens to be running the best deal at the time.

Ammoseek.com is great if you're looking for the cheapest price. Federal is running a rebate on their American Eagle stuff right now.

I like Quads way of thinking on the subject. Any weight bullet will do just fine out to 100 yards and probably double that too. 223 “should be” more accurate the 5.56 but there is always that exception to the norm. Your 7” twist will stabilize all bullets up to around the 75gr valse. Keep in mind thought once stable there are a lot of factors that make one bullet more accurate then the next.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Everything suggested here so far is good info, but I'm gonna suggest to you Fenix Ammo in Novi. It's reloaded, but the quality control there is insane. All components used are very high quality and the ammo burns very clean. It's also nice to load a bunch of mags and not have your hand black from dirty brass.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    Target Sports USA and SGAmmo are both excellent. I use Sportsmans Guide, Natchez Shooters Supplies, and Outdoor Limited as well. All just depends on who happens to be running the best deal at the time.

Ammoseek.com is great if you're looking for the cheapest price. Federal is running a rebate on their American Eagle stuff right now.
    I totally agree on your suggestions with the exception of Natchez. I bought from them for years but stopped about six years ago because their shipping charges were excessive. I've been dealing with SGAmmo as much as possible and when they're out on something I go to Target Sports USA, both excellent.

For 5.56/.223 range/fun ammo I found Speer Lawman, PMC and Lake City (Federal) to be just fine!

I like to order from palmetto state armory when they have free shipping on bulk ammo. I shoot a lot of steel case at the range too. AIM surplus has it cheap. $200 shipped
    Last edited by oldmann1967; 10-04-2019 at 01:04 PM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    I use SGAmmo.com in Stillwater OK.
    Veteran Family Owned and Operated, great prices and fast shipping.

https://www.sgammo.com/
    Yeah SGAmmo gets a lot of my orders. If I'm just blasting stuff at 100 yards I buy Wolf Gold at around 27-30 cents per round. Last I checked Aim Surplus has boxes for $5.49. If I feel like making tiny groups, my guns like Magtech 77gr SMKs at around 60 cents per round.

Compare shipping costs when shopping around too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast